The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 8:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to simulate PSR in an differential amplifier (Read 4741 times)
uu@uk

how to simulate PSR in an differential amplifier
Jun 11th, 2009, 5:48pm

Hi,

actually I am going to simualte how an differential amplifer reject the power supply induced jitter at the output using Spectre. One suggestion is to superimpose a sinusoid signal at the power supply and run transient simulation to check the crossing deviation at the output. However, it is time penalty.

Anyone has other methods by using PSS or PXF? Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: how to simulate PSR in an differential amplifier
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2009, 11:18pm

hi,
  you can search there are many ports in here for PSRR. And  there is some test bench in http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis .But try to apply pulse with rise time at the frequency of interest.
  Are you using diff amp for any oscillator?
thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
uu@uk

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2009, 10:43pm

Hi Raja,

Thanks for your information. I found some useful discussions here. Actually the differential amplifier is not for any kind of osc. It is for a buffer chain.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2009, 7:04am

hi
  if you are not using diffamp for oscillator purpose then why your interested in o/p jitter?

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

uu@uk

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2009, 1:59pm

Hi Raja,

Sorry. Maybe I misled. It is an amplifier in the PLL based freqency synth. That is why I care about o/p jitter.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2009, 9:08pm

hi uu@uk,
             where you are using this amplifier? and how did you find jitter then (normally jitter means peak to peak variation in the time period).

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

uu@uk

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2009, 11:45pm

Hi Raja,

I just insert the differentail amplifier before output buffer. Using the differential one but not CMOS inverter because it suppress lot of power supply noise and substrate noise induced jitter.

Do you mean how to simulate power supply noise induced jitter or device noise induced jitter? for the device noise induced jitter, you just can easily using "Pnoise" to get the jitter results. But for power supply noise induced jitter. it is kind of confused to me. I tried using transient simulation, but it is time penalty. Now I wanna convince myself to use PXF to achieve the jitter at the output. I am still working on it. If you are also still interested in this problem or you have any good suggestion. welcome to send me email by luvckt@live.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2009, 1:31am

Take a look at http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1224609785/13#13 and read (at least) reply #13 to #18 (please note that the thread has three pages).

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.