The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 10:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Miltibit quantizer in SDM for a Fractional PLL (Read 2543 times)
boa

Miltibit quantizer in SDM for a Fractional PLL
Jun 19th, 2009, 4:41am

Hi all,

I have a question about the contribution of SDM to the output phase noise of a fractional-N PLL. In case we're using multi-bit quantizer in SDM loop (i.e. not only +1/-1, but more levels), does it give any advantage/disadvantage in terms of SDM's noise contribution?

In case of SDM ADC it is obvious, that the more number of bits we use, the smaller is the step between quantization levels, the smaller quantization error rms, i.e. delta^2/12 is. So increasing number of bits directly increases the resolution. However in a fractional PLL the division ratio step of prescaler is fixed to 1 (in case of N/N+1, let's not take fractional prescalers into consideration). So, according to my understanding, delta=1, no matter how much bits are there in quantizer.

I believe that multiple bits increase stability of the loop and make quantization noise closer to "white noise", that removing "idle tones" etc. But does it give any advantage in terms of noise contribution from SDM?

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Re: Miltibit quantizer in SDM for a Fractional PLL
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2009, 12:37am

Here

http://www.edaboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=147586&highlight=pll

is a more detailed discussion about multi-bit in frcational PLL. The zip contain also a comparison.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.