The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 10:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
4th order bandpass filter design (Read 5576 times)
Visjnoe

4th order bandpass filter design
Jun 29th, 2009, 7:10am

Dear all,

in the design of a (complex) 4th order bandpass filter, I would tend to use a cascade of 2 biquads. However, one could also use a cascade of 4
1st order stages which each realize 1 complex pole.

Are there certain (dis)advantages for either of these approaches?

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: 4th order bandpass filter design
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2009, 8:10am

Peter,
1 Biquad = complex pole pair + (optional) complex zero pair
Note that a 1st order band pass has a complex pole pair, i.e. requires one biquad, so 2 biquads result in 2nd order band pass (or 4th order low [or high] pass).
BOE

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2009, 10:00am

boe wrote on Jun 29th, 2009, 8:10am:
Peter,
1 Biquad = complex pole pair + (optional) complex zero pair
Note that a 1st order band pass has a complex pole pair, i.e. requires one biquad, so 2 biquads result in 2nd order band pass (or 4th order low [or high] pass).
BOE

The complex bandpass filter does not have conjugate pole pairs. It is a low-pass which is linearly shifted rather than undergoing a usual real low-pass to bandpass bilinear transform.

So to get a 1st order complex bandpass, you need a single complex pole. To do this you need a complex signal (i.e. I & Q paths).

As to which is approach is better... I have often used the single pole cascades in I and Q with cross coupling on each section to get the linear shift. It allows one to choose the pole ordering better and minimises amplifier performance (in lieu of potentially more amplifiers) since you can control/limit Q easier. BiQuads would inheritly require better opamps (more GBWP) or more linear OTAs.

cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2009, 11:27am

I am afraid that perhaps there is a misunderstanding.

Hi, Peter .  Please tell us if you only need a 4th order BP, because the phrase "complex" could puzzle us.

Besides this point, I would like to point to the fact, that there is no BP of first order. It is a common agreement that the degree of the numerator determines the degree of the function. And the simplest BP - as a result of a transformation of a 1st order LP - is a 2nd order BP.
Regards.

Correction: Read "denumerator" instead of "numerator". Sorry.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2009, 2:14pm

buddypoor wrote on Jun 29th, 2009, 11:27am:
Besides this point, I would like to point to the fact, that there is no BP of first order. It is a common agreement that the degree of the numerator determines the degree of the function. And the simplest BP - as a result of a transformation of a 1st order LP - is a 2nd order BP.

This is not true for a complex filter, which is a filter which is NOT symmetrical in the freq=0 domain. As such it can have a "bandpass response" in either the positive OR negative frequency domain whilst only having a single complex pole, and so order =1.
Your statement is only true of real filters which have been created by bilinear transformation of a lowpass (and are symmetrical around freq=0 for +/ve&-ve frequencies).

Ref: Gingel M.J for the classic paper "A symmetric polyphase filter". 1968
or
"Complex analog bandpass filters designed by linearly shifting real low-pass prototypes" Sedra, A. S., Snelgrove, W. M. and Allen, R 1985.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2009, 11:25pm

Hi ACWWong,

yes, you are right. And exactly this was the reason I have asked PETER to clarify if he really wants a "complex" filter. I doubt.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2009, 11:59pm

Dear all,

thank you for all your inputs. Sorry for the confusion, I indeed meant a complex, polyphase 4th order bandpas filter (I/Q complex signal path).

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.