The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reference for I-/Q-channel ADC (Read 2862 times)
Berti
Community Fellow

Reference for I-/Q-channel ADC
Jul 01st, 2009, 7:20am

Hi all,

I have two (I- and Q-channel) delta-sigma ADCs for cellular, each with his own reference voltage buffer. I am wondering whether it makes sense to share the buffer (thereby minimizing mismatch on the voltage reference which increases image rejection etc.) or is this a bad idea because of cross-talk between the two channels?

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: Reference for I-/Q-channel ADC
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2009, 6:09pm

If I were a design lead, I wouldn't accept your decision based just on an answer from this forum.. I'd spend an hour with you just reviewing how you modeled the potential interaction, and looking over the simulation results on which you based your decision..

Its the kind of thing good designers write papers about..
jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2009, 11:02pm

Quote:
If I were a design lead, I wouldn't accept your decision based just on an answer from this forum.. I'd spend an hour with you just reviewing how you modeled the potential interaction, and looking over the simulation results on which you based your decision..
 :)

I agree, but it is always good to collect some other opinions ....

View Profile   IP Logged
wave3x

Shang Hai, China.
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2009, 11:14pm

I think IQ ADC need not to use independent reference driver, just to simplify the design and layout. Cross-talk will not be a big issue.  image rejection also be a less significant issue just if you pain a little attention about it. Of course I assume your system does not need a IR < -50dB.

Berti wrote on Jul 1st, 2009, 7:20am:
Hi all,

I have two (I- and Q-channel) delta-sigma ADCs for cellular, each with his own reference voltage buffer. I am wondering whether it makes sense to share the buffer (thereby minimizing mismatch on the voltage reference which increases image rejection etc.) or is this a bad idea because of cross-talk between the two channels?

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.