The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 6:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
newbie question about a long-tailed pair limiter (Read 1738 times)
mmzaj

newbie question about a long-tailed pair limiter
Jul 04th, 2009, 1:53am

Hi

i know that the Amp in the attachment is a long-tailed pair limiting Amp . but i'am having a hard time trying to figure out the role of the capacitors !! the Amp should be functioning in the switching mode - the designer says so -  , but capacitors introduce a "decaying" output !!
also , is it a good small signal Amp , or should i expect only a square wave at the output ? a detailed analysis would be nice  :)
btw , R2 is connected to a +12V Vcc .

limiter_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: newbie question about a long-tailed pair limiter
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2009, 4:11am

As I have told you already, it is series connection of a common collector and a common base stage.
Two capacitors at the base of T2 represent the common base effect and the other both caps (together wth the small resistor) isolate the power supply rail from the circuit. The last capacitor couples the input signal.
Of course, it is a good small signal amplifier for signals within the quasi-linear region of the transistors.
For a detailed analysis you should use a text book and search for differential amplifier.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.