The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 4:50am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NF min of a device (Read 3254 times)
analog_cha

India
NF min of a device
Jul 09th, 2009, 4:19am

My question may sound silly.

For a device, is NFmin constant irrespective of its size?
The expression for NFmin does have all technology constants. NFmin should be fixed by the process.
But when i simulated the device for its NFmin, it varies with size.

I am unable to understand this discrepency. Can anybody explain??
Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: NF min of a device
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2009, 5:57pm

NFmin is the minimum noise figure achievable for a particular device.

As a device, from any technology, is scaled up the transconductance tends to increase (and input referred noise decreases) and the input thermal noise due to resistance goes down, so it makes some sense that NFmin will reduce as the width increases from the minimum. But, of course, at some point the increased input capacitance is so high that the effective transconductance starts to decrease with increasing area, so NFmin will start to increase again at high frequencies.

Hope this helps a little.

View Profile   IP Logged
rajesh14

tuni, andhra pradesh
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2009, 11:45pm

@above
could u plz explain this point clearly "at some point the increased input capacitance is so high that the effective transconductance starts to decrease with increasing area"

View Profile rajesh14   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 7:09pm

I simply meant that as the device area gets bigger, so does Cgs which reduces ft (i.e. high frequency gain is limited by the capacitance). As the gain reduces, then the input referred noise increases, so NFmin increases with increasing frequency.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.