The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 19th, 2024, 12:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UGB requirement for Bandpass filter (Read 3256 times)
manodipan
Community Member

UGB requirement for Bandpass filter
Jul 14th, 2009, 6:42am

Hi all,
I have a doubt on the UGB requirement for a Bandpass filter ...let's say center frequency is around 3MHz and Qfactor=1.5....what should be the requiremnt of opamp UGB ???is 100MHz UGB is okay??Thanks a lot...........

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: UGB requirement for Bandpass filter
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2009, 8:34am

hi,
   i think it is  depends on the architecture..but roughly you can say its around 20MhZ, but 100 is too much..it consumes lot of power.
thanks,
rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2009, 8:49pm

Hi,

an ideal op-amp based filter only has a feedback path. However, a real filter will have a feedforward and a feedback path. The UGB of the loop gain will determine up the what frequency the BP filter will behave ideally. Beyond the UGB of the loop gain, the feedforward path will start to dominate, and the filter transfer function will no longer follow the ideal transfer function.

So the UGB requirement of the loop gain is determined also by your interferer profile and possibly noise requirements.

Also remember that even if the transfer function continues to roll-off after the UGB of the loop gain, the linearity will not be good at these frequencies.

cheers,
Aaron

BTW as Raja mentioned, if you overdesign the opamp, you will pay for it with higher power consumption.

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ray_wang

Shanghai
Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:33pm

raja.cedt wrote on Jul 14th, 2009, 8:34am:
hi,
   i think it is  depends on the architecture..but roughly you can say its around 20MhZ, but 100 is too much..it consumes lot of power.
thanks,
rajasekhar.

i don't think 20Mhz would be enough unless u use some Q-tuning techniques. The peaking is significant with only 20Mhz UGB.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:24pm

hi,
   i assumed that sallen key filter so roughly i gave that no..but i don't think peaking will come...could you please explain more

Thanks,
rajasekhar,.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
ray_wang

Shanghai
Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2009, 11:03pm

raja.cedt wrote on Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:24pm:
hi,
   i assumed that sallen key filter so roughly i gave that no..but i don't think peaking will come...could you please explain more

Thanks,
rajasekhar,.

Peaking is proportional to biquad Q and inverse proportional to opamp GBW. See a paper on filter written by several Japanese in JSSC, Nov. 2007.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.