The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 19th, 2024, 8:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
why my sub-1v bandgap has upper temp curvature ? (Read 1712 times)
xwj623
Community Member

why my sub-1v bandgap has upper temp curvature ?
Jul 19th, 2009, 11:38pm

my bandgap is 1.2v, but has a upper temp curvature , it seems there is
something wrong with mirror Ma & Mb, but i am not understand why this happens and how to solve it? And is this curvature bandgap works well?

sch_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
xwj623
Community Member

Re: why my sub-1v bandgap has upper temp curvature ?
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2009, 11:41pm

waveform

wm.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2009, 8:44pm

Channel length modulation on Mb? What is the length for Ma and Mb?

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
xwj623
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2009, 9:51pm

HdrChopper wrote on Jul 24th, 2009, 8:44pm:
Channel length modulation on Mb? What is the length for Ma and Mb?

5u.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2009, 7:37am

Who knows, but this often happens when you run the bipolars at too high a current density. The drop across the base resistance causes the upward curvature. You can fix it by using bipolars with larger area.

Opamp offset temperature dependence could also have similar effects. Since you divided down the "signal" the circuit will be very sensitive to opamp offset. Run a simulation with the difference between the two terminals of the opamp and see the variation. Most of bandgap design is choosing the proper current density and building a VERY good opamp. Most bandgaps fail because people underestimate the importance of these things.

rg

PS: I am assuming you are using the same resistors throughout the design. Different resistors mess everything up.

PS2, I came up with that circuit about 1 month before it was published in the red-rag! Isn't that funny how often that happens?

View Profile   IP Logged
xwj623
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2009, 6:26pm

RobG wrote on Jul 27th, 2009, 7:37am:
Who knows, but this often happens when you run the bipolars at too high a current density. The drop across the base resistance causes the upward curvature. You can fix it by using bipolars with larger area.

Opamp offset temperature dependence could also have similar effects. Since you divided down the "signal" the circuit will be very sensitive to opamp offset. Run a simulation with the difference between the two terminals of the opamp and see the variation. Most of bandgap design is choosing the proper current density and building a VERY good opamp. Most bandgaps fail because people underestimate the importance of these things.

rg

PS: I am assuming you are using the same resistors throughout the design. Different resistors mess everything up.

PS2, I came up with that circuit about 1 month before it was published in the red-rag! Isn't that funny how often that happens?

maybe the bipolars at too high a current density,because it is 3.2um*3.2um device whihc fab support, while flow a  4uA current.
the pnp dimension can't change according PDK,i use 1:8 structure,
is it a good methord to use 4:32 considering layout and process?

1. i use the same res type whihc has a negative temp coefficient.
2. i am not quite understand what you are meaing. Sad

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2009, 7:30am

xwj623 wrote on Jul 27th, 2009, 6:26pm:
maybe the bipolars at too high a current density,because it is 3.2um*3.2um device whihc fab support, while flow a  4uA current.

There is nothing wrong with using 4:32 or 1:8, but too high or too low a current density will cause errors like you have shown. A proper test would be to bias both the 1x and the 8x transistor with the same current and check the difference in voltage over temperature. The difference in voltage between the two bipolars should not depend on the current (it should be nkT/q*ln(8)). So start at a low current (like 0.5uA) and keep increasing it until the difference in voltage starts to change from nkT/q*ln(8). Bias the transistors somewhere close to where the voltage starts to change.

[/quote]
[/quote]
a very large negative temp-co resistor will turn the curvature upward. To test this, try setting the temp-co to zero or use a different resistor type

Quote:

Plot the difference in voltage between the input terminals of the opamp over temperature and post it here. Also tell me what the ratio of R2a to R2b is. If you do that I might be able to explain it to you.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2009, 7:33am

xwj623 wrote on Jul 19th, 2009, 11:38pm:
my bandgap is 1.2v, but has a upper temp curvature , it seems there is
something wrong with mirror Ma & Mb, but i am not understand why this happens and how to solve it? And is this curvature bandgap works well?

Did you mean 0.6v, not 1.2v?

In addition to what I said in the previous post, show the ratio of the current of Ma to Mb. Your mirror should be 1-to-1.

View Profile   IP Logged
xwj623
Community Member

Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2009, 6:41pm

RobG wrote on Jul 28th, 2009, 7:30am:
xwj623 wrote on Jul 27th, 2009, 6:26pm:

There is nothing wrong with using 4:32 or 1:8, but too high or too low a current density will cause errors like you have shown. A proper test would be to bias both the 1x and the 8x transistor with the same current and check the difference in voltage over temperature. The difference in voltage between the two bipolars should not depend on the current (it should be nkT/q*ln(8)). So start at a low current (like 0.5uA) and keep increasing it until the difference in voltage starts to change from nkT/q*ln(8). Bias the transistors somewhere close to where the voltage starts to change.

[/quote]
a very large negative temp-co resistor will turn the curvature upward. To test this, try setting the temp-co to zero or use a different resistor type

Quote:

Plot the difference in voltage between the input terminals of the opamp over temperature and post it here. Also tell me what the ratio of R2a to R2b is. If you do that I might be able to explain it to you.

rg [/quote]

Power supply is 1.2v ,vref is 0.6v.
R1 is about 28k,
R2a=R2b is about 140k.
Ma:Mb=1:1.

i want to know the upward curvature whether due to the high current density of PNP or due to negetave  resistor?
the negetave resistor  coefficient is about  -145 ppm/C.

thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2009, 4:44am

xwj623 wrote on Jul 28th, 2009, 6:41pm:
i want to know the upward curvature whether due to the high current density of PNP or due to negetave  resistor?
the negetave resistor  coefficient is about  -145 ppm/C.

thank you.

It isn't the negative temp-co of the resistor if it is only -145 ppm/C. It might be the bipolars, or the opamp, or the mosfets, or something else, but that can not be known without doing simulations that determine the effects of these items.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.