The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 19th, 2024, 2:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low frequency noise in current to frequency converter (Read 1894 times)
rajivs1001

Belgium
Low frequency noise in current to frequency converter
Jul 22nd, 2009, 2:38pm

I am working on current to frequency converter which consists of following two circuits

1- Integrator circuit which integrates the current. In the beginning output of this stage is RESET to ground (0V) and then because of current integration, output of integrator starts rising.

2- Output of integrator goes to a comparator which compares this voltage with a reference voltage and as soon as output of integrator becomes equal to this reference, comparator output toggles and RESET the integrator.

What I see is very high level of noise at low frequencies. Can someone please suggest some reference for understanding the root cause of this type of noise better.

Any suggestion/comment with be very useful.

Thanks,
Raj

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Low frequency noise in current to frequency converter
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2009, 9:28pm

hi,
   can you give your schematics, because with the info what you have for me it seems like there equal probability of getting noise from both (comp and integrator)..you can try this architecture also..First integrate the current and then use ring oscillator...this will give same result but i don't know about noise which it gives

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: Low frequency noise in current to frequency converter
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2009, 8:47pm

IF the input current noise is white, after integration will have 1/f^2 profile and therefore more noise power at lower frequency.
This is normal for any integrator processing white noise at its input....

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.