The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 2:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A question about device noise simulation of sigma-delta modulators (Read 2377 times)
alixluohao

A question about device noise simulation of sigma-delta modulators
Aug 10th, 2009, 8:10pm

Today I simulated the device noise of my swiched-capacitor sigma-delta modulator with the method using a ideal S/H to close the loop, as the designer's guide "Device Noise Simulation of sigma-delta modulators" said. The ideal S/H is implemented by Verilog-A as follows:

module sah_ideal(vin, vout, vclk);
input vin, vclk;
electrical vin, vout, vclk;
parameter real vtrans_clk = 1;
real vout_val;
   analog begin
   @(cross(V(clk) - vtrans_clk, 1.0))
           vout_val = V(vin);
    V(vout) <+ vout_val;
end
endmodule

The tran simulation may be OK, but when implementing a PSS simulation, the "vout_val" is refered as a hidden state and the PSS simulation is terminated. How to eliminate the hidden state so as to apply the S/H to the device noise simulation? Cry

Thanks!
LUO

View Profile   IP Logged
currant

Re: A question about device noise simulation of sigma-delta modulators
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2009, 10:57pm

Look this article about hidden-state free SH
http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/hidden-state.pdf

As I understand, it is impossible to simulate sigma-delta modulator by periodic analysis, because the output of modulator is not periodic, but chaotic. I've read about this in Spectre RF docs.

Best regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2009, 5:37pm

Hi LUO,

Usually the noise performance of a sigma delta modulator is dominated by the first integrator. Try then to analyze the first integrator noise with PSS. In this case PSS will work and you will get a good idea of what your main input noise source will look like.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
alixluohao

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2009, 10:59pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I will read the pdf "Hidden state in specreRF" and pay attention to the noise of the first intergrator. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.