The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 9:11am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
system level EVM,ACLR specs. to block level performance requirements (Read 9218 times)
sandman
Community Member

system level EVM,ACLR specs. to block level performance requirements
Aug 11th, 2009, 4:03am

Hi all,

I am trying to 'reverse engineer' block level performance requirements from the EVM and ACLR specifications for a high power OFDM transmitter, for LTE.

I'm aware of the rough relation between EVM and its various causes (non-linearity, phase noise, IQ phase and gain error and carrier leakage). But, the trouble I'm facing is in translating and partitioning (downwards) the EVM specs. into block (Mixer, PA, Filter etc.) level requirements for an LTE transmitter.

Some of the questions I have are:
-how much of each of the blocks do I need to know before I can reverse engineer their performance numbers, from the specs.?
-how much (percentage) of a particular performance to give each block? As for the ACLR specs., I'm assuming that the biggest culprit is the non-linear PA. Again, the issue here is to distribute the ACLR (i.e. nonlinearity) budget among the various transmitter blocks.

If you have any advise or comments, that I could use, I'd be happy to hear form you!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: system level EVM,ACLR specs. to block level performance requirements
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2009, 7:48pm

The key to partitioning or budgeting for EVM is to understand that independent error contributions degrade EVM by the RMS sum of the errors. So, static errors such as phase noise, image rejection, thermal noise, etc. all add independently (RMS) to the EVM. ACLR is also an independent contribution, but ACLR is nonlinear so its contribution also depends on power.

OFDM ACLR has been approximated in several papers by assumng the statistics of the signal are close to that of a Gaussian or complex Gaussian ampltitude distribution. Under this assumption the ACLR can be estimated from knowledge of the OIP3 of the transmitter. I can list some of these references if it is helpful to you.

View Profile   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2009, 4:21am

@ RFICDUDE

Thanks for the comments! I probably understand roughly, the individual mechanisms and how they might contribute to the EVM and ACLR degradations, and that is, to say, only a part of the solution.

To follow up, and determine block level performance reqmts., I need to distribute those contributions among their 'contributors' in the Tx chain. i.e. I know that the EVM limit for OFDMA with QPSK is 17.5% (for LTE). There's a following step which determines how much comes from carrier leakage, from phase noise , non-linearity, IQ mismatch etc.. But, how do I determine how much of that to attribute to the amplifier, mixer, etc (contributing to IQ mismatch, non linearity effects on the EVM).

A long question, but I hope you get the drift...!!

The problem is I'm not sure how to do that (from not having the experience!!).

Any renowned/interesting papers that you can share, would help.

Also, I'm trying to trace this atricle - Michael Leffel, "Intermodulation Distortion in a Multi-signal Environment," RF Design Magazine, June 1995, pp. 78-84. ... if you've come across is before?!

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2009, 6:37am by sandman »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2009, 3:11am

Dear Sandman,

I do not have any direct experience on this concrete topic, but I think that when you have to derive block level specifications for a complicated transmitter/receiver given a set of system specifications, the best way to move forward is to build models for your building blocks and run system-level simulations.

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2009, 3:41am

Oh, I forgot to mention an overwhelming complication these days when it comes to OFDM systems. For WLAN/WiMAX the EVM of the received signal depends strongly on the sophistication of the equalization filter used in the receiver. The unfortunate outcome of this is that EVM degradation is worse than one would expect for some static errors such as image rejection (gain/phase imbalance). An even more tragic result is that the specification on transmitter EVM is usually tightened up to make up the difference. I have seen system designers design for 3dB tighter image rejection to account for this.
I hope LTE is a little more definitive about what the receiver equalizer assumptions are for system measurements on the transmitter.
------
Distributing the budget really depends on your knowledge of the blocks and the architecture. A rough distribution can be guessed at by simply assigning contributions logically to blocks that you know are going to impact certain performance parameters which impact EVM such as gain and phase imbalance, distortion, phase noise, LO leakage (depends on if LO falls within the Rx bandwidth), etc.

Gain imbalance is most often atributed to the baseband amplifier/filter circuits all the way up to the mixer. Slight LO amplitude imbalances may not be significant if the mixer limits the LO signal (Gilbert 4-quadrant mixer).

Phase imbalance is relates most directly to the quadrature LO balance.

You can budget gain and phase imbalance by using image rejection as the measure of how these two contributions degrade EVM.

LO leakage relates directly to DC offsets in the baseband right up to the mixer. However, at really low output power the LO leakage through capacitive and/or inductive coupling paths will dominate the low level leakage.

Distortion is usually budgeted to allow the PA to dominate the spectral mask, so the transmitter before the PA usually has a roughly 10dB tougher spec than the PA for adjacent channel distortion. However, with a tight EVM budget the transmitter distortion may have to be even less to minimize any degradation to EVM at high output power.

You also have to be willing to analyze the EVM over the power control range because the distortion contribution will generally reduce as power is reduced (depends on how gain and the transmitter and PA output sections are controlled). This permits other contributors to take up some of the distortion budge when distortion is not a significant contributor.

Roughly, the inband distortion (dBc) will be worse than the out of band distortion by a couple of dB for high peak to average signals like OFDM. Simple voice only WCDMA signals may have the same or less inband distortion than out of band distortion. So, unfortunately, the impact of distortion depends on the waveform mode the transmitter is operating in.

The specifics of all of these (I’m sure this is what you are looking for), are unfortunately dependent on the architecture being used and the knowledge of block level performance. Therefore, filling out the initial sheet is a matter of guessing and honing the numbers against a design team that is willing to say what is realistic or not (i.e. what are they willing to bet their paychecks on).

View Profile   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2009, 4:47am

Thanks for the comments RFICDUDE and Visjnoe!

RFICDUDE:
As I understood it, from a theoretical point of view, since the multipath impact is lesser for OFDM, isn't the eqv. filter supposed to quite simple?

I'm not sure of the architecture for my multi-mode transmitter yet, so I guess it'll have to be lots of system simulations followed by a link budget analysis with a 'gut feeling' distribution of performance parameters that I'd have obtained from the previous stages.

From a (multi-mode tx) implementation perspective, I came across a paper for PA's - http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5135512

Nevertheless, it would be great if those papers you mentioned are easily accessible. Did you have any good papers to share?

Any inputs are welcome!

Sandman.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.