The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 4:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
decoupling and bypassing (Read 2211 times)
aamar
Community Member

Germany
decoupling and bypassing
Aug 13th, 2009, 6:48am

Hallo,

I have a question please regarding the decoupling and bypassing of supply noise because of the bonding inductances.
The question is how to judge the quality of the compensation network.  Shall the xf transfer functions from all the inputs to the tested node be all below the 0dB which I tried a lot but still some are above in certain frequency ranges?
In the transient domain, If the signal swings once before it settles (one over and one undershoot) with a certain amplitude and settling time. I found that this single swing limits the sensitivity of the circuit, this means that I have to make sure that the original signal is large enough. Is it Ok? Is it normally that the supply bouncing limits the sensitivity of  a circuit or is it possibly to completely get rid of it?

Best regards,

aamar

View Profile   IP Logged
Sumit Adhikari
Community Member

Re: decoupling and bypassing
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2009, 1:00am

Well it is not possible to get rid completely from supply noise. By the way what is the
bounce ? Is it because of AC supply which is coming from rectifier or ground bounce
reflected indirectly into supply ?

For 50 Hz signal the effect will be handled in the respective analog blocks. Choosing
adequate PSRR for the respective block solves your problem.

If it is because of ground bounce, there is probably no answer  for analog blocks
(also simulating this is not possible). However digital blocks can be use proper filtering
to get rid out of this partially. But this effect will be seen.

Please let me know if I understand your question properly.
Regards,
Sumit

View Profile   IP Logged
aamar
Community Member

Germany
Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2009, 8:58am

Hi Sumit,

Thanks a lot for your reply, yes I think you got parts of what i meant. I meant actually with the bounce the supply noise resulting from the injected currents in the supply terminals inductances.
My case is as follows, I am designing an optical receiver, the system includes comparators which are implementing class AB outputs leading to current spikes through the supply rails. As soon as I use the inductances on the supply inputs starts the signals to swing. What I learned is to divide the problem as follows:(1) to search for source of the spikes which is the comparators in my case. (2) To search for the blocks which can amplify the supply noise, in my case was the TIA, and to try to isolate these blocks using star connected RC pairs. (3) To connect bypass capacitors which can bypass a part of the current injected by the class AB output stages. I have done all of this on both VDD and GND and checked the XF analysis to check that all blocks have a gain of less than zero (but still I can't). I have even tried to improve the PSRR of the TIA and the voltage post amplifier.

What I have heard once is that as long as the signal settles in no more than one cycle it is ok. But I can find now that the swing of the oscillating cycle is comparable to the signal amplitude for low inputs which deteriorates the BER. So I was not sure If there would be a solution to this noise or it is normal and we have to adapt to it.

Thanks a once again

Best regards,

aamar

View Profile   IP Logged
Sumit Adhikari
Community Member

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2009, 9:18am

You are into a critical problem. This will effect your BER that's for sure.
What is the current leaking between supply rails and GND ?
I think it would be better to have a look at your circuit.
Regards,
Sumit

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.