The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 8:40am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VCO phase noise variation with capbank (Read 2555 times)
Visjnoe

VCO phase noise variation with capbank
Aug 13th, 2009, 11:05am

Dear all,

I'm evaluating a 1.8GHz VCO with a 4bit capacitor bank for coarse frequency tuning. Typically, for a given frequency channel, the PLL that includes this VCO can obtain lock for three neighbouring capacitor bank settings i, i+1 and i+2.

I notice quite a significant phase noise variation (~ +/2 dB) between the lowest (i) and highest band (i+2) for each frequency channel.

I know that the VCO phase noise varies in general versus this capacitor bank setting since it influences the Q of the tank, but normally the Q of the tank will not vary a lot for neighbouring bank settings (differing only in 1 LSB)....

Any insights on the mechanism causing this variation are welcome.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
scv

California, USA
Re: VCO phase noise variation with capbank
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2009, 4:06pm

Are these bits binary-weighted? What's the difference in Kvco for each bit choice? I would assume that higher Kvco's would translate into more phase noise since noise voltages would modulate the varactor capacitance by a greater extent.

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Re: VCO phase noise variation with capbank
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2009, 11:47pm

The bits are indeed binary weighted. I see the large variation between setttings differing in 1-2LSB. Difference in Kvco also came to my mind, I'm investigating this at the moment.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.