The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 8:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
comparator noise simulation (Read 4158 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

comparator noise simulation
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:30am

Hi all,

i'm guessing this has been asked before, but i'm wondering how do I simulate the input-referred noise of a comparator. Assume that the clk frequency is 1 MHz. The method I used was to run a PSS and Pnoise analysis and check the 0th sideband of the pnoise analysis. I then integrated the noise over the bandwidth from 1 kHz to 1 GHz...Is this method correct? I'm basically trying to find what bit resolution this comparator can be used up to.

One more thing, should I be only integrating the noise up to the clock frequency?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: comparator noise simulation
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2009, 10:32pm

Hi all,

so this is what i eventually did. Please comment on whether this method is good or bad. I used a transient noise simulation which ran for 40 clock cycles with a square wave input. I did altogether 250 runs which results in a total of 10000 samples. Of the 10000 samples, I found there to be 2 bit errors when the input voltage was 1 mVpk, so for 1 Vpk maximum signal swing, I can say that the BER is approximately 1/5000 with log(1/0.001)/log2 = 10 bit accuracy. The actual input-referred noise is of secondary importance since we are more concerned with the BER. For accuracy I believe I should have enough runs for about 30 errors or so...

Does this all sound right? I have a feeling I didn't calculate the bit accuracy properly.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Sumanjit

Re: comparator noise simulation
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2009, 11:04am

I believe that comparator noise simulation and BER are two different things.

To do the BER simulations you should read this paper from cadence http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/metastability.pdf

As for the noise simulations i am also trying to find a solution for it. I will keep you posted if i come up with anything useful.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.