The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 12:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
some questions on the amplifier in the RC Active filter (Read 3668 times)
Lilylily

some questions on the amplifier in the RC Active filter
Aug 19th, 2009, 2:15am

Hi,everyone,I have to design two filters having cutoff frequencies of 100kHz and 1.2Mhz. And I don't know how to select the amplifiers in the filters. And what is the requirement on the gain, bandwidthand so on?Thanks!!  

View Profile Lilylily   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: some questions on the amplifier in the RC Active filter
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2009, 6:53am

Lilylily wrote on Aug 19th, 2009, 2:15am:
Hi,everyone,I have to design two filters having cutoff frequencies of 100kHz and 1.2Mhz. And I don't know how to select the amplifiers in the filters. And what is the requirement on the gain, bandwidthand so on?Thanks!!  

In most cases, gain is not a problem as it is high enough.
But the GBW should be app. 50...100 times larger than the pole frequency of the filter stage. By the way: 2nd order ?
But in general it depends on the filter topology. Some are more suszeptible to opamp gain/phase errors than other structures.

Sorry: read "suszeptible" as "sensible" .

« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2009, 8:50am by buddypoor »  

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2009, 2:57am

Lilylily wrote on Aug 19th, 2009, 2:15am:

This really depends on your requirements. I would advise using a simple (but reasonably realistic) opamp model and playing around withthe gain/bandwidth/slewrate etc. to see what the minimum requirements are, and then setting your spec to be a bit higher than that (safety margin).

For continuous-time filters, it is quite easy to do this exercise. There is also something called "sensitivity analysis" which you can use. This is available with the Cadence Analog Design Environment for Spectre, but I have never used it yet. You can try it out with a schematic of your filter containing some opamp macromodels to see if you get something useful out of it.

Best regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2009, 5:21am

Hi vivek, I am not familiar with SPECTRE, However, I doubt that the sensitivity analysis can give valuable information about the dependence of the transfer function to the parasitic opamp phase (and that is the dominant parasitic parameter determining the upper freq limit).
As far as I know, sensitivity analysis gives information about the amount of influence (in percent for example) which a part and its tolerance has on the transfer function.
But your other advice - to play a little with different opamp makros - is a very good one. For my opinion, this exactly is one of the fundamental tasks of a simulation program.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Lilylily

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2009, 8:26pm

Hi, thanks to all of you! And the fact is that I want to design a filter tunable to 5 bandwidths ranging from 100K to 1.2MHz? But I don't know what the first step is. At the beginning, I think I should determine the amplifier structure firstly. But now I think It's better to determine the structure of the filter (sallen-key, MBF, inverting) and the order, then get the corresponding requirement to the amplifier. Is that right? Do you have the experience to design a tunable filter. May you tell me how you deal with that? Thanks!

View Profile Lilylily   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2009, 3:36am

Hi Lilylily,
                 Hey it's a late reply..But plz dnt mind. You should proceed like :--
1.     First step is to decide the Filter approximation and its order required based on your specs such as Roll-Off rate, PB ripple, SB attenuation etc.
2.     After deciding upon type of filter(ie filter approximation), you design the top-level of the fitler, which basically means work out the math and calculate component values for any one of the numerous implementations you choose (eg: Active RC, Sallen-Key/Tow-Thomas/Acken-Moserberg Biquad/ LC Ladder / MFB etc.).
3.      Design an opamp such with a GBW in accordance with your filter cutoff( or the effective TF cutoff in case of cascading type of structure in Higher Order Filters). Generally, we keep Opamp GBW atleast 10-50 times greater than the Filter cut-off.

thanx,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.