The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 5:02pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tsmc 0.13um process parasitical capacitance when 8GHz CMOS VCO design (Read 5265 times)
ReadWDX

China
tsmc 0.13um process parasitical capacitance when 8GHz CMOS VCO design
Aug 19th, 2009, 2:47am

hi all,

now, I am designing a cmos vco which works at 8Ghz(highest freq, wideband),using TSMC 0.13um cmos process.but I don't use this process before,so I now don't make sure how much parasitical capcitance I need to consider,who can help me?

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
macrohan

Re: tsmc 0.13um process parasitical capacitance when 8GHz CMOS VCO design
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2009, 6:13pm

If you consider the parasiticl capcitance, especially layout parasitical capcitance, in my design option, may be 400~500fF parasitical cap that you must consider before desiging.

View Profile macrohan   IP Logged
Riad KACED
Community Member

Swindon, UK
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:34am

Hi Macrohan,

You better look at TSMC's Design Rule Manual. Besides, the TSMC 0.13u comes with various metal options. Needless to remind you that different metals have different parasitic caps.
You may just draw some lines and extract them using Calibre/Assura, this gives you a rough idea.

Cheers,
Riad.

Riad KACED
PDK, EDA Support Engineer.
View Profile   IP Logged
duncandu

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2009, 10:11am

ReadWDX wrote on Aug 19th, 2009, 2:47am:
hi all,

now, I am designing a cmos vco which works at 8Ghz(highest freq, wideband),using TSMC 0.13um cmos process.but I don't use this process before,so I now don't make sure how much parasitical capcitance I need to consider,who can help me?

thanks

I personally suggest that you just design it and get some feelings. In fact, 8G Hz is not that high for .13um process, and I guess you still need to add MIM caps into the resonant, so that even though you find the parasitic cap is large in post simulation, you can simply decrease some MIM caps.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2009, 7:19am

Hello Read_MLY,
                         First, estimate the routing length that you will require to route your oscillator nodes...Estimate it depending upon :---
1. No. of stages in your Oscillator
2. Size of transistors used in each stage.
3. a Rough Idea of How you are going to place your stages in layout...

These points may give you a fair idea of the length of each oscillator node....

Then simply draw a metal lines of the required width & length as Riad said, and extract Post-layout netlist of that wire to get a rough idea of routing cap...

Proceed with schematic design by placing a cap of around that value(somewhat higher) at each oscillator node....

--mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.