The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 2:30pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on input switch size ? (Read 4604 times)
nobody
Community Member

Question on input switch size ?
Aug 25th, 2009, 3:52am

I  studied materials about bottom plate sampling by Prof. Song and found something interesting. Here is the first figure about bottom plate sampling. I am looking forward any materials about the figure in the 2nd post . I also found a figure looks pretty much like the one in the 2nd post. I tried to post the 1st and 2nd figures in one post but can not make it. Sorry for any inconvenience I made.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2009, 8:50am by nobody »  

bottom2.GIF
View Profile   IP Logged
nobody
Community Member

Re: Question on input switch size ?
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2009, 4:07am

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2009, 8:51am by nobody »  

bottom1.GIF
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2009, 11:07pm

I don't know what your problem is.

View Profile   IP Logged
nobody
Community Member

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2009, 2:14am

What i am looking for is some explanations about the selection of input and sampling size. I found that figure and want to know more details like why input switch with smaller Ron is better.

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2009, 5:05am

Ron needs to be small enough to satisfy the settling/linearity requirements. You can do hand calculations to get an idea.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
nobody
Community Member

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2009, 6:39am

Thanks for your reply. I know one requirement on settling time but do not know the relationship between Ron and R, which means which resistance should be larger and how much larger is better. Like the example in the post, it is better to have larger Ron/R or Rtop/Rbottom for good THD.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2009, 11:02am

Berti wrote on Aug 28th, 2009, 5:05am:
Ron needs to be small enough to satisfy the settling/linearity requirements. You can do hand calculations to get an idea.

The settling would be determined by the total Ron, but I think he is looking for the optimal relative sizes of the two switches.

I hadn't seriously analyzed it, but I would think you would want the top switch resistance to be as small as possible (i.e. make it a wide switch). This is because its resistance is signal dependent so you want to minimize its effect. In addition, charge injection effects are minimized because the bottom switch is open so there is little penalty to a large switch.

On the other hand, the bottom switch contributes to the charge injection. Most is common mode and signal independent, but some isn't. You would want to minimize its effects by making the switch as small as possible... that is, you would want the bottom switch resistance to dominate the settling time.

I'm just rattling this off the top of my head, but the above seems to make sense. It doesn't seem to be consistent with the plot. Ideas?

rg

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2009, 9:05am by RobG »  
View Profile   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2009, 6:50am

RobG wrote on Aug 28th, 2009, 11:02am:
Berti wrote on Aug 28th, 2009, 5:05am:

I'm just rattling this off the top of my head, but the above seems to make sense. It doesn't seem to be consistent with the plot. Ideas?

rg

is that because of the parasitic cap of the switch, for example, the source-bulk cap. so the clock feedthrough, or the limit on the settling together with the Ron will be playing a role.

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2009, 11:44pm

Neglecting linearity and just considering area, the switches should be sizes the same dimensions.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.