The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
reference cicuit (Read 3980 times)
smarty
Community Member

reference cicuit
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:32am

Hi,
 I might sound strange, but it is possible to generate a supply/temperature independent reference without using band-gap. This is for an ADC.

Thanks,
SBR

View Profile smarty smarty   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Re: reference cicuit
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2009, 1:23pm

Typical ways to make a ref are with a BG over an external resistor,
OR
to use a crystal clock and generate something useful from there.
Perhaps a Freq. Locked Loop with the oscillating element generating a bias which is then filtered and pass onward.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2009, 10:59am

You can do it from any number of sources, for example the Vt of a mosfet added to a PTAT source, but usually these references are not PROCESS independent. There is only one process independent reference available: the PTAT voltage generated by differing current densities in a bipolar transistor. The next best thing is the bipolar transistor base-emitter voltage, which is well behaved over process. When you add the two together you can always trim the result to a "magic voltage" of about 1.2V that is temperature stable. There is nothing out there that compares to that robustness over process.

Other methods: putting a voltage onto a floating gate has been published a few times in the last few years. I'm skeptical of the lifetime of these things, but what do I know... Buried Zener references were an old standby (better than bandgap references), but supply voltages are probably too low in your process. And using MOSFET Vts, but I don't think that gives a "magic voltage" to trim to. A long time ago there was an article in JSSC about using the difference between a "native" MOS and one that had the threshold adjust, but it isn't used much.

That said, you don't need to create a bandgap circuit to generate the reference. E.G. if you want a current, just sum up a VBE and PTAT current. Also, in the charge domain, you can get the same effect of sampling a 1.2V constant "bandgap" reference by sampling a properly weighted combination of PTAT and VBE voltages. You can even do this with one bipolar transistor and a two-level current source if you are clever.

In the end though, it is really hard to beat using the combination of PTAT and VBE to create a reference.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
smarty
Community Member

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2009, 10:11am

Hi,
 Thanks for the inputs, but for me it seems band gap is not possible since I am working in sub 1V supply ( min supply can be as low as 0.8) and the vbe can be as high as 0.76.

Best Regards,
SBR

View Profile smarty smarty   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2009, 5:58pm

"not possible" is not the way I would put it... more likely performance is degraded when the temperature is cold and the voltage supply is 0.8V. For supplies of 0.85V and 0oC bandgap in the traditional sense (delta Vbe & Vbe) is easily achieved.

Does that the ADC itself start suffering performance degradation with 0.8V irrespective of the bias ? If the ADC needs extremely accurate bias to operate under the specified conditions, then maybe its the ADC which needs modification ?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2009, 11:24am

There are some IEEE JSSC articles on sub 1V bandgaps out there - try IEEE Explore or just Google it.

Also, a walk around - Use a charge pump boosting structure to generate a larger voltage and run the BG off that, then proportionally divide the voltage down to something smaller, and go back to working on 1V power.

Should be able to get a BG working on just a few uA of juice and that means the charge pump boost is not too problematic to create.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.