The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 8:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to analyze relationship between filter group delay and receiver performance? (Read 2236 times)
tulip
Community Member

How to analyze relationship between filter group delay and receiver performance?
Sep 03rd, 2009, 12:18am

I am designing a filter in a receiver system.

What I need to know is : what is the relationship between the filter's
group delay and system performance?

Filter's group delay can induce signal distortion, our receiver system
has the design target of SNR, IIP3 and so on, but how  these design
targets can be related to filter's group delay?

I tried to use ADS to get the relationship, I put a cauer filter in the
system, first I think I can find the distortion by substract the output
signal of filter from the input signal of the filter, but because the delay
between the input and output signal, they can not be direct substracted.

What can I do to analyze the relationship between filter's group delay and receiver performance?

Thank you very much.

Not every morning wake up your alarm clock, but dream!
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: How to analyze relationship between filter group delay and receiver performance?
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2009, 2:01am

I donīt think you will find any relationship (formula) between group delay and those performance parameters mentioned.
My first idea is to use a filter with no resp. very little group delay (Bessel-Thomson characteristics) and than replace it with another filter of your choice in order to evaluate the quality change.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: How to analyze relationship between filter group delay and receiver performance?
Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2009, 9:06am

Hi,

I read somewhere that the rule of thumb is that the group delay variation should be less than 10% of your symbol period. However, I can't find the reference.

But anyway you probably need to see the effect of the GD on the BER. I suggest some kind of behavioural simulation in Matlab. I believe your GD requirement depends heavily on the modulation scheme chosen as certain modulation schemes pack a lot of throughput into the signal bandwidth. As buddypoor mentioned, you probably won't see GD affecting NF, IIP3, etc.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
tulip
Community Member

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2009, 4:07pm

Thank you very much.

Not every morning wake up your alarm clock, but dream!
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.