The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 1:53pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
about mixer design (Read 2707 times)
manfred

about mixer design
Sep 03rd, 2009, 5:43am

Hi everyone:
I want to design a mixer, whose speccifications is as follows:

Frf=2500MHz, FLO=2700MHz, so Fif is 200MHz
conversion Gain=10dB, NF<15dB(SSB), P1dB>-15dBm,
the input port is not needed to match to 50ohm, but the output port need drive offchip saw filter whose impedance is 100ohm(differential).
the power should be < 10mA.

but I have two problems :
1. are these specifications reasonable? (0.35um SiGe process)
2. the output port need to drive 100ohm impedance, what  type of output stage is better? emitter follower or common emitter or any others?

any reply is appreciated.
Best regards

manfred

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: about mixer design
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2009, 8:34am

Hi,

I haven't worked with SiGe, but since you have NPN transistors, I guess your gm/IDS is 1/Vt =40. So if you have 10 mA, you should get gm of 0.4 and if you use this to directly drive your load you should be able to achieve a conversion gain somewhere close to 40 = 26 dB. Since this is more than enough, you can even use some resistive degeneration to improve the linearity. The NF seems to be a given for that power consumption but again, i haven't worked in SiGe.

You could add a buffer stage but I guess it would need most of the 10 mA budget in order to drive the 100 ohm load and therefore your NF would degrade. The advantage would be better reverse isolation and you could make your conversion gain independent of the load impedance. My last comment is that if you do put most of the power into the buffer stage, you might have to worry about the IF bandwidth achievable by the actual mixer stage.

Anyway although i haven't worked with SiGe, most of the specs seem achievable. Hope it helps,

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
manfred

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2009, 9:50am

thanks Aaron!
yes, I also think most of 10mA maybe used by the output stage. but I don't know what type of output stage should be adopted?
and the IF is about 210MHz, so the Bandwidth is also a problem.

now I adopt traditonal Gilbert mixer core + emitter follwer output stage. but the gain is 4dB at the output of core, it become smaller at the follwer output which drive 100 ohm saw filter.

cheers
manfred

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2009, 11:33am

0.35 SiGe? Probably IBM (6HP) or Jazz....

Suggest looking into lowering the impedance of the mixer and using that (unbuffered) to drive the SAW directly.

Why?
Lower impedance equals less noise,  better linearity from higher current and fewer active amplifiers in the system.

If that doesnt fly, you will need to pay the penalty for a buffer amplifier. Emitter followers are lots better at HF than Source followers but still some questions on zero db gain (actually a little loss) and additive noise, linearity issues, and all that.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.