The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 3:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
designing peaking in input match with good group delay (Read 2876 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

designing peaking in input match with good group delay
Sep 09th, 2009, 6:48am

Hi all,

I need to design an input match network for my wideband Rx. I am using an inductor to get some dB peaking into my capacitive load (amp input). However, the phase response is ruined by this. So I would like to build an equalizer up front.

I used methods outlined on Dr. Howard Johnson's website. I can reduce the spread of group delay quite well like this, and I also get good peaking but the method adds in a fixed attenuation which keeps getting larger and larger as you increase the peaking. In other words, I can get peaking at my halfbaud but this is symbolic (more or less) as the absolute power level remains more or less the same in dB. I am only reducing the lower-frequency gain of my system. I tried some similar variants. The basic idea is described in:

http://www.sigcon.com/Pubs/edn/ConstantREqualizer.htm

Is there a good way which can be used to get real peaking and gain while preserving a decent phase response?

Any ideas are most welcome.

Best regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: designing peaking in input match with good group delay
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2009, 6:45pm

Hi Vivek,

I'm not sure how well it would work with on-chip inductors, but have you tried a simple multi-stage matching network? i.e. cascaded L sections. What kind of bandwidth are you looking at and is it your signal bandwidth or the system bandwidth?

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: designing peaking in input match with good group delay
Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2009, 12:16am

aaron_do wrote on Sep 9th, 2009, 6:45pm:
Hi Vivek,

I'm not sure how well it would work with on-chip inductors, but have you tried a simple multi-stage matching network? i.e. cascaded L sections. What kind of bandwidth are you looking at and is it your signal bandwidth or the system bandwidth?

Hi Aaron,

I am using multiple sections, i.e. coupled inductors etc. in order to get a good match which seems to be no issue using the textbook-based techniques. However, I need to provide a little bit of gain at half-baud to overcome higher channel and insertion losses at this frequency. I could not tell you the exact frequency but that is not really important.
What I see is that the group delay is poor using simple inductor sections with no equalization.

Hence, I used the scheme shown in this paper (link in first post), but I see that this achieves the peaking not by raising gain at half-baud but by suppressing it at lower frequencies. I am not sure whether there are good ways of achieving gain peaking without ruining the group delay in a reasonable manner. If you could suggest some ideas, then that would be great.

By the way, I found the use of the equalizer idea also in another paper (JSSC Dec. 2007, by Dally, Poulton et al.) They also let the low-frequency gain drop in order to get peaking. This implies that they need to get more gain somewhere later in their signal path. Noise is not critical I think for these chip-chip links described in their paper.

Regards,

Vivek

cheers,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.