The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 12:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
input common mode interval (Read 194 times)
studentmember

input common mode interval
Oct 08th, 2009, 6:10am

hi, i need help to understand the difference between input common mode interval and input swing...in CMOS differential pair..
..i have to design a unity buffur gain..how can i simulate input e ouput swing of buffer?..can anyone help me?

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Re: input common mode interval
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2009, 6:53am

Hi,
      Input Swing is usually limited by your Opamp Gain because that decided the difference in voltage/currents at two input nodes. On the other Hand, Input CM Range ICMR is defined by the range of voltages required to maintain all the MOSFET's in desired(usually saturation) region of operation.

While designing a unity gain buffer, You should primarily be concerned about ICMR because usually that's the one which will set the limit on your choice of output common mode level.

You can estimate ICMR by the values of overdrives that you set for your tail current source & load transistors. You can simulate it by sweeping i/p CM level and checking the limits for all MOSFETs to be in desired region of op.

happy to help,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
studentmember

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2009, 3:06am

thank you! i have another question..what's the Output Analog Ground?
it's referred to OTA..

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2009, 3:00pm

Hi ,

In an opamp, o/p analog gnd would mean the voltage level wrt which  you measure your o/p voltage.
      In an OTA, it would mean the VSS rail of the ouput branch i suppose, which is generally the same as reference voltage with respect to which you see the output.

--Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.