The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 12:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PSRR of bandgap reference (Read 4239 times)
subgold
Community Member

PSRR of bandgap reference
Oct 21st, 2009, 8:06am

I have a question concerning the PSRR of the bandgap.

I have a sub-1V current summing bandgap topology. I use a cascode transistor in the output branch to improve the PSRR.

then I add a regulation loop around the cascode transistor (gain-boosting) to further improve the PSRR. Then the problem arises. The PSRR improvement can only go up to a certain level, and can go no more higher, even if I increase the gain of gain-boosting amplifier, which would theoretically increase the output impedance of the cascode branch.

Also, the loop composed by the opamp has a rather high gain and PSRR, which doesn't seem to be the limiting factor here, does it? i am not so sure how this loop will eventually impact the PSRR.

Can anybody give me a clue on what is limiting the PSRR in this case?
Thanks a lot.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: PSRR of bandgap reference
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2009, 7:45pm

Hi subgold,

In theory your opamp should provide infinite output impedance at the drain of your cascode device (and thus infinite PSRR); which obviously is not attained in real ckt.
The opamp has a finite gain and therefore it will not allow to reach such high impedance and PSRR levels, the latter also limited by the op-amp PSSR.
In addition CGS of your cascode transistor will start - at high frequencies- to couple noise from the power supply directly onto the gate; overriding in this way the op-amp gain boosting feature.
Both things then (opamp finite gain and CGS coupling) will end up degrading your PSSR with respect to ideal levels.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2009, 8:11am

Hi subgold,
                I dont know whether u are talking about schematic level design OR Post-Layout Simulation, But in any case, Take care while PNR to keep the capacitance between the opamp o/p node and the vdd/vss rails to be negligible(this cap will directly introduce coupling, hence degrading supply rejection). Especially in BG ckts, Layouts are v critical...

thanx,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:40am

thanks both for your inputs.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.