The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 12:10pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Regulator Question (Read 14492 times)
Mayank
Community Fellow

Re: Regulator Question
Reply #15 - Oct 26th, 2009, 11:07pm

Hi,
      The second circuit, with two ideal Voltage Sources connected

See, an Ideal Voltage Source, has ZERO series Resistance, (or ZERO internal resistance of the battery, we can say). If we go into a bit more detail into ckt operation, In a circuit, The current flows from +ve terminal of the battery to the -ve terminal of the battery outside the battery & inside the battery, the current flows from -ve terminal to +ve terminal (which in practical case presents some internal resistance, BUT since we are assuming ideal voltage sources, we say it's ZERO)....So outside the battery, we can consider an Ideal Voltage Source as ZERO series resistance, which maintains 2Vs across it's terminal, & that the Impedance from +ve terminal to -ve Terminal is INFINITE...[Again, dont confuse it with the series resistance, series resistance is modeled in series with +ve terminal to the eff. o/p terminal of the battery, This INFINITE impedance i am talking about is b/w +ve & -ve terminal].
           Hence, Assuming that +ve terminal with 2V is shorted to a +ve terminal with 3V voltage wrt common reference GND but both of them are UNCONNECTED to GND. Two cases arise NOW --->>

1.  The wire shorting both the terminal is NON-IDEAL :  The potential differnce of 1V will drop across the wire resistance in this case, and the two nodes are no longer shorted, but connected with a very small resistance.

2. The wire shorting both the terminals is IDEAL : (which i guess is too much to assume   Tongue , Jerry obviously wont lk this case as it is a pompous assumption  :P ) :: Assuming wire is a superconductor with ZERO resistance, Going a bit deeper into superconductor dynamics, We can assume the wire to be a perfectly fluid Electron Gas(Dirac sea of electrons). The two ends of this superconducting wire will have different densities of electrons since their voltages are different. The equilibrium will be achieved through diffusion of e-s in the e- gas from higher density to the lower density. But this is a dynamic phenomena...Finally the voltage across the entire wire will settle at some voltage between 2V & 3V (ideally at 2.5 V)....But In this case, 2.5 V is not forced by some battery, but instead achieved through natural equilibrium process.

Sorry for explaining it that extensively...might grow a bit boring to read...But this question perturbed me for years, until i came up with this around 6 months back...

Hope it satisfies everyone....I would welcome any additions/corrections/suggestions...
I am particularly interested in such wierd kinda basic questions...Wish ppl could ask queries lk this more often...updates my knowledge too  :)

thanx,
Mayank....

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #16 - Oct 26th, 2009, 11:32pm

hi mayank,
                 first time one person trying to think differently to give ans for this question. thank you. But i didn't understand how different carrier densities at the end because different potential means different electric field, and during equilibrium how voltage will drop?

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #17 - Oct 27th, 2009, 12:27am

Hi raja,
           This really should have been a different post altogether... Smiley i love these type of e- puzzles.....Our reference which we call GND is common for both voltage sources...Now Different Voltages at respective +ve terminals of the battery means there exists an Electric Field between the two potentials remember E = - dV/dX....

Basic assertion --->  Potenial difference means there exists a electric field. But how did the potential generate ?? Because of Charge accumulation...Had there been no difference between the charge density at say two points X1 and X2 .. How will there be any Potential difference between Point X1 and X2 ? The points will be equipotential then....Different Charge densities means different potentials at those points means an electric field which is opposing in nature...will try to equate the charge densities and bring potential to same level....

Am i right ??

--Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #18 - Oct 27th, 2009, 12:48am

Hi again raja,
                     Lemme try to elaborate a bit more...Say you have two ideal voltage sources whose -ve terminals are connected to GND & +ve terminals are hanging as floating(Not connected as of now, No connections, no leakages, no arching nothin...). Then you can assume these points to be ,say, A = 2V + terminal , B = 3V +ve terminal) and assert that these act as POINT CHARGES and have separate electric fields of their own...say k.q1/r2 and k.q2/r2 But force exerted on one due to another will always be same --> k.q1.q2/r2...Since the reference GND wrt which the Potentials of points A and B are different [recollect V = k.q/r], this itself means that the amount of charge present at these nodes is different...So I guess that explains the different charge densities at both the points..

Now, as soon as you connect them through a conductor, The electric field between the two points becomes the -ve gradient of the potential between two points. [It always is the -ve gradient of pot diff b/w 2 points but till the time they were unconnected, we could have argued that individual E fields exist and are differentiable]. Now the E field becomes (3V-2V)/ Length of the conducting wire...

But, what if the connecting wire is a superconducter ? ZERO resistance...Perfect e- gas....
Two processes will come into play -->

1>   Diffusion process  ---> as i explained earlier...Charge carriers e-s diffuse from higher density to lower density -- until dynamic equilibrium is attained...without any external force...

2>  E Field b/w two points ---> As soon as you connect the nodes, There will exist a E field between two points which will point from +ve node to -ve node (3V node to 2V node) because of different charge densities at both the points...[remember from prev post..why did E field generate in d 1st place ?? --> coz of diff charge densities.] This E field will cause e-s to move from 3V end to 2V end...reducing E field magnitude in the process..until finally an equilibrium is attained when both potentials become equal...

Both there processes will ensure that the superconducting wire...will essentially settle at a common voltage...(ultimately making both the points appear as SHORTED)...But what makes them a SHORT  ?? --> These two processes....

If the wire has a finite resistance...Then also initally there will be a voltage drop across the wire...But eventually, both the ends will settle to same voltage levels, because of the above mentioned processes...Differnece being that In this case, the diffusion process will be confronted by the finite resistance of the wire...

Hope that explains it all....Still welcoming suggestions....These are ultra-basic topics involving physics...any1 can be wrong anytime  :P

Anyways, Did this help raja or made it even more confusing Cheesy ?

cheers,
Mayank....

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #19 - Oct 27th, 2009, 2:16am

hi mayank,
                   thanks for lot of effort to make me happy through the whole discussion. i understand like this. different potentials means different Charge Density, so when you connected through super conductor charge will transfer through material. so in case of wire with resistance this drop will be across the wire and potentials will be same, but in our present case potential will change. so if any thing wrong in let me know.

@mayank: hi man ..i have some other basic doubt in capacitors, if you give your mail id i will post that question..i don't to disturb many people.

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #20 - Oct 27th, 2009, 4:19am

Hi ,
      Great... Smiley mail me at singhmayank19@gmail.com...Anyways, raja...i was just curious what's cedt -- name of some organisation ?? You working in industry / academics ?

As per your reply, In superconducting case...It's correct..atleast according to me...In normal resistance wire...Only Initially Potential difference will exist...I will try to explain in the mail itself... Smiley
regards,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #21 - Oct 28th, 2009, 3:52pm

Mayank wrote on Oct 26th, 2009, 9:57pm:
Jerry, Just out of curiosity, If you connect an Inverter's o/p to i/p node & as you said, going one level deeper & Taking into account some propagation delay tau, It will still oscillate right ?

If you go one level deeper - Lets take the case of a CMOS inverter:

It is a diode connected PMOS transistor connected to a diode connected NMOS transistor. No oscillation, no inversion.

As for the two voltage sources connected to each other? Does not exist in the real world, its an academic abstraction. All voltage sources have impedance.

If you can give me an ideal voltage source with no impedance we can solve the energy problems of the world by pulling 10E999 amps of current out of it. Cheesy

As for the other answers provided - I see the word "assume" being used a bit too much in the answers.
As long as the assumptions are clearly stated, that's cool, but make sure the assumptions are applicable and valid to the original question asked. In my experience they generally are not, but that gets conveniently forgotten a little too often.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #22 - Oct 28th, 2009, 7:57pm

raja.cedt wrote on Oct 26th, 2009, 9:56pm:
hi,

@Tosei: hi i didn't understand  that impedance division concept? could you please explain more

Regardless these are OTAs or OPAMPs both can be modeled by two voltage sources with a finite impedance (high for the OTA, low for the OPAMP and least at low freq). (see drawing)
Note: Although the OTA is usually modeled as a controlled current source and therefore it has an output shunt impedance this assumption is still valid.

The non-zero output impedance is a valid assuption since we are talking of actual amplifiers (as Jerry suggested before this circuit does not make sense for ideal OPAMPS, and even for ideal OTAS it does not make sense to consider both have different input referred offsets....otherwise they would not be ideal Smiley)

So if V1 is the first amp and V2 the second amp,  then V1= 10mv and V2= 20mv. Therefore Vo will be the voltage division of these two voltages. I suggested that if the open loop gain is not greatly affected by the different unbalances, then Z1 and Z2 will be similar and Vo should be close to 15mv. Otherwise Vo wil be set by the corresponding voltage division

Best
Tosei

Drawing1_005.jpg

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #23 - Oct 28th, 2009, 9:11pm

hi,
   thanks for Tosei, for clarifying division concept. Thanks every body who has given inputs to this question.

Thanks.

boe
Community Fellow

Reply #24 - Oct 29th, 2009, 11:38am

loose-electron wrote on Oct 28th, 2009, 3:52pm:
If you go one level deeper - Lets take the case of a CMOS inverter:

It is a diode connected PMOS transistor connected to a diode connected NMOS transistor. No oscillation, no inversion.
That assumes a 2-transistor inverter. If you need an inverter with a lot of drive strength, you might want to use three stages to reduce input capacitance; and I have seen standard cell libs offering such inverters...
BOE

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #25 - Oct 29th, 2009, 4:41pm

Ah! Exactly! As you can see, you have to go that "one level deeper" before you have a meaningful question that can be answered!

Also, notice I said "CMOS inverter" and that was intentional, because there were some forms of multi transistor TTL that the answer would have been totally different.

Jerry Twomey
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #26 - Oct 29th, 2009, 9:49pm

Hi,
      thanx Jerry....I understood the functioning...
      @ Boe : Can you explain what do you mean by 3-stage Inverters ??

regards,
mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #27 - Oct 30th, 2009, 8:39am

The three stage inverter is generally 3 inverters in series,

in ->inv1->inv2->inv3->out

as you go from stage to stage, the transistor sizes get larger so the output can drive larger loads.

Jerry Twomey
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #28 - Oct 30th, 2009, 3:19pm

Hi jerry,
          Ohh, it's that  8-) ...I usually call it  clock/data buffer-chain....Increases drive....I got it...I thought it was some fundoo Inverter design with 3 MOSes like some current-starved kinda thing...  ;)

thanx,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.