The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 9:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
converting single balanced mixer to double balanced mixer (Read 323 times)
nadroit

converting single balanced mixer to double balanced mixer
Oct 25th, 2009, 9:49pm

Hi
I have designed a single balanced mixer with Flo=1.8Ghz and Frf=1.9Ghz (CMOS TSMC0.25um technology) I optimized it to give 10dB gain. I used same values (load resistance,width of LO and Rf transistors and DC biases) to construct double balanced mixer but it gave me gain of -3dB. If double balanced mixer is nothing but two single balanced mixers connected in cross coupled manner and there gain equations(CG =2*gm*RL/pi) are same why is this happening? (for simulations of conversion gain I am using PSS
+ PAC analysis ,there is no matching for both the circuits but sources resistance is 0 as I am using vsource instead of port). If I put an inductor to cancel out capacitor at the gate of RF transistor I manage to get 10dB gain for double balanced mixer.Also if I reduce
the LO and Rf frequency say at few MHz i get 10dB gain in double balanced mixer. I am really confused please help.

Thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.