The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 8:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
charge conservation problem in capacitor model (Read 4736 times)
applecore

San Jose, CA
charge conservation problem in capacitor model
Nov 08th, 2009, 11:19am

I am puzzled by a charge conservation problem of capacitor, and tried a spectre simulation to solve it. What I did is to put an ideal capacitor and an ideal inductor in parallel, set an initial current in inductor, and ran a transient.  The tank oscillates, of cause, but with a decaying magnitude. Then I tried the code in

http://www.designers-guide.org/Modeling/varactors.pdf

by replacing the nonlinear q = c0∗v + c1∗v1∗ln(cosh((v – v0)/v1)); to a linear q=c0*v. It turns out that this model has the same result as the schematic view result. So I assume this model has same problem with the schematic model, NOT conserving charge. What is the solution then? How to model a charge conserving capacitor?

Thanks~~~~
Ji

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: charge conservation problem in capacitor model
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2009, 9:28am

For an explanation of what you are seeing, check out "4.2.2.3 Artificial Numerical Damping" starting on page 147 of "The Designer's Guide to Spice and Spectre" http://www.designers-guide.org/Books/dg-spice. To get rid of the effect, switch the transient integration method to trapezoidal (Spectre transient option 'method=traponly').

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
applecore

San Jose, CA
Re: charge conservation problem in capacitor model
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2009, 4:26pm

Dr. Kundert,
Thank you for the reply! I found my answer with your help! The voltage dependent capacitor (varactor) distributes energy to harmonicas, and the oscillation decades if no energy is injected to the tank (gm cell).

Regards,
Ji

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.