The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 4:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
very low beta value of pnp to be used in  BGR (Read 4860 times)
Dipankar
Community Member

very low beta value of pnp to be used in  BGR
Nov 09th, 2009, 7:59am

Dear Experts,

Can anybody share his/her  experience regarding BGR design with pnp device having very low beta (1.5-2.5) ? Any special care/techique to adopt ? or will you suggest to go with MOS-only BGR. Spec :  BGR out = 0.5 V with 12.5 ppm (:() accuracy over -40 to 120 C.

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Re: very low beta value of pnp to be used in  BGR
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2009, 10:53am

hello,
        All CMOS Trans-Linear BGRs are a new concept --> more complex, still developing...& though famous academically...Industrially, Bipolar BGRs are still in vogue...
    Try with BJT's first...standard achitectures...maybe some senior with ex in BGR design can suggest better....

--mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2009, 5:40pm

I agree with Mayank...
Go with BJTs....low beta will be an issue though.
One option I can think of now would be to use MOS beta helper, so that the low beta effect is mitigated...

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2009, 8:29pm

Thanx Tosei,
        Can you please provide some info / material on MOS beta helpers....

--Mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2009, 10:07pm

hi mayank,
                  i feel some how if you can supply base current through some means its fine..i donno abut beta helper but please refer fig 7 in the following paper..
http://repository.ust.hk/dspace/bitstream/1783.1/2348/1/200410CICC_Vrefdesign.pd...

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2009, 12:39am

Dipankar wrote on Nov 9th, 2009, 7:59am:
Dear Experts,

Can anybody share his/her  experience regarding BGR design with pnp device having very low beta (1.5-2.5) ? Any special care/techique to adopt ? or will you suggest to go with MOS-only BGR. Spec :  BGR out = 0.5 V with 12.5 ppm (:() accuracy over -40 to 120 C.  

One very good way of avoiding any issues with finite beta is to simply use the PNP as a diode. The PNP available in a process are mostly lateral and chances are quite high that you anyway do not have a floating PNP available, i.e. the collector is probably anyway tied to substrate. Have you cross-checked this point?

I don't know about beta of 1.5-2.5 but I have seen beta in the range of 4-5 for PNPs and seen these used in bandgaps. And in my design experience, bipolar bandgaps always outperform MOS ones in terms of precision.

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Dipankar
Community Member

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2009, 8:55am

Dear All,
                 I'm using PNP (collector in p-sub) and it helps. Thank you all for your inputs.

Another query is : should we care about the opamp's psrr used in BGR ( traditional BGR topology) very much  or just making loop gain high will be enough. This  will effect my choice of opamp topology - two-stage or folded-cascode.

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2009, 11:32am

Hi,
    As for your query, yeah, the PSRR of the opamp, and for that sake the whole BandGap, should be high....For high PSRR in BG ckt, we go for cascode structures....But as Jerry once suggested, cascode structures increase Noise at the output....There's a trade-off here.

Along with the PSRR, input OFFSET of the opamp is also a critical figure...Pls. keep this also in mind while designing...

--Mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2009, 8:33am

I am with Vivek on this one - the standard PNP in CMOS (lateral device, collector tied to substrate) is most commonly used in a diode connected configuration to create a bandgap.

It's out there in millions of chips.

-- jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.