The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:14pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
popcorn noise (RTS noise?) in parasitic VNPN BJTs (Read 4937 times)
sos
Community Member

Re: popcorn noise (RTS noise?) in parasitic VNPN BJTs
Reply #15 - Nov 29th, 2009, 3:30pm

Yes, interference is my thought. First thing I go for is the metal trash can. Mine walked off one day, I found facilities using it at the paper shredder. I told them it was lab equipment (fortunately I had put a "Calibration not required" sticker on it)...

Maybe your setup is already shielded as you say. I think the spikes are a little suspect. The other thing I do a lot is poke at my setup with tweezers (use them to connect my body capacitance to the circuit). Most nodes this just causes big problems, but sometimes it is good for finding bad connections. Gives you a feel for what's going on...

Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
sos
Community Member

Reply #16 - Nov 29th, 2009, 3:41pm

Re-reading the thread, I'd have to agree with Ken's comment--making an analog setup stable on a wafer prober can take some doing. One thing you can do to test for oscillation is wind a few turns of magnet wire (maybe 1cm diameter) and solder it to a connector so you can plumb it into the input of a spectrum analyzer. Use this as a sniffer to check your circuit for oscillation without having to probe it directly (you often stop the oscillation due to probe loading).

Oscillation caused by probe parasitics is sounding lots more likely than burst or popcorn noise.

You could also try packaging a bunch of chips and sorting for yield in packaged form. If it is the probe parasitics causing problems, it could take a lot of time on the machine to fix.

Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #17 - Nov 29th, 2009, 5:04pm

Hi Steve,

thanks for the help. Actually I was also thinking that maybe Ken was right. I was going to hook the power supply board up to a network analyzer and see if there are any high impedance frequencies.

Another thing is that I used electrolytic capacitors for the power supply bypassing. Is this going to affect the oscillation frequency? I was told I should switch to tantalum...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
sos
Community Member

Reply #18 - Nov 29th, 2009, 5:58pm

sos wrote on Nov 29th, 2009, 3:41pm:
Re-reading the thread, I'd have to agree with Ken's comment--making an analog setup stable on a wafer prober can take some doing. One thing you can do to test for oscillation is wind a few turns of magnet wire (maybe 1cm diameter) and solder it to a connector so you can plumb it into the input of a spectrum analyzer. Use this as a sniffer to check your circuit for oscillation without having to probe it directly (you often stop the oscillation due to probe loading).
Steve

That's the coil that's 1cm in diameter, not the wire...

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #19 - Nov 29th, 2009, 6:06pm

Is there a way to check for supply line resonance on the PCB without using a network analyzer? Bear in mind there isn't necessarily any oscillation, just resonance...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
sos
Community Member

Reply #20 - Nov 30th, 2009, 10:22am

aaron_do wrote on Nov 29th, 2009, 5:04pm:
Hi Steve,

thanks for the help. Actually I was also thinking that maybe Ken was right. I was going to hook the power supply board up to a network analyzer and see if there are any high impedance frequencies.

Another thing is that I used electrolytic capacitors for the power supply bypassing. Is this going to affect the oscillation frequency? I was told I should switch to tantalum...

thanks,
Aaron

I can tell you up front that if you hook a network analyzer up to all that wiring on the prober, you will get weird results. What do they mean--who knows? I favor a different approach. I wasn't kidding about the tweezers. Hold the tweezers and lean the same hand on some grounded surface. If you touch the supply pins and get changes in your noise output, this is pretty good evidence that your supply bypassing is suspect (maybe not 100% of the problem but significant).

The frequency where bypass capacitors become ineffective is pretty much where they go self resonant (or resonant with the external lead length on the prober). Electrolytic caps have higher internal inductance than tantalums. We typically use 4-10uF tantalums plus 0.1uF ceramic or film caps in parallel, on each supply to ground.  The simple minded idea is that when the big cap quits working due to resonance, the little cap takes over (which has a much higher self-resonance), but this is a simplification. Actually, the resonance on the big cap is still there and can cause problems in some cases. I'd go with tantalum plus 0.1uF in parallel, as close as you can get to the chip (I realize there are probe pins in the way). Keep lead lengths (supply and ground side) as short as possible. You can't get rid of the probe card, but no meandering traces!

If you still have problems, sometimes you can add resistors to damp out resonance. One place is to add a series R-C between the supply pin and ground--like maybe 25 Ohms in series with 0.1uF. You could also try supply to supply if you have split supplies (ground on your board may not have any relation to what the chip is seeing as ground). The other place you could put resistors is in series with probe pins. There are obvious problems with this idea--you're very limited how much resistance you could put in a current carrying line, like the supply. You can put them in series with high impedance pins like inputs, but be careful you don't build a filter and ruin what you're trying to measure.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #21 - Nov 30th, 2009, 4:44pm

Hi sos,

thanks for the detailed reply. I guess the supply bypassing will have to be redone, but i'll experiment with the tweezers. Seems like you're trying to create an additional load to the power supply with the tweezers to see how it responds right? What if the tweezers are too good conductors? Seems like i'll get a short circuit...

thanks,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
sos
Community Member

Reply #22 - Dec 1st, 2009, 4:34am

aaron_do wrote on Nov 30th, 2009, 4:44pm:
Hi sos,

thanks for the detailed reply. I guess the supply bypassing will have to be redone, but i'll experiment with the tweezers. Seems like you're trying to create an additional load to the power supply with the tweezers to see how it responds right? What if the tweezers are too good conductors? Seems like i'll get a short circuit...

thanks,
Aaron

The tweezers do *not* short anything, sounds like you have the wrong idea. All I do with the tweezers is add parasitics to the  supply. The parasitics consist of me--or my hand, depending what I'm leaning on. The tweezers only contact the circuit at a single point--you could use a piece of stiff wire instead, but tweezers have a nice grip. The only purpose is a quick check to see what nodes are sensitive to parasitic loading. Obviously, you don't want to do this when there is enough voltage around to be exciting.

Just to be clear--no short circuit or bridging is allowed. The tweezers are just a means to connect your hand to the circuit as a quick and dirty, mostly medium impedance R, ~C load. Signal nodes are clearly going to be pretty sensitive above 1MHz, but the other nodes should not be.

Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #23 - Dec 1st, 2009, 6:48am

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I originally thought you meant to connect one end of the tweezers to ground...

thanks,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #24 - Dec 1st, 2009, 9:17am

Looking at the spectral content I do agree with the group that it is NOT a transistor noise problem, thats for sure.

Welcome to the "noise onion" problem. But at the lower frequencies, it may not be an EMI type coupling issue.

This could be either a low level oscillation within the system, or something coupling in from the outside.

Key thing is you need to selectively divide things up, separate and isolate things until you determine the cause.

First - If it is on a probe station, get the part diced and packaged. Getting things quiet and under control on a probe station is not a realistic place to test things. Get it soldered down onto a test PCB (no socket!) that is well decoupled and well filtered. Right there you may find that solves the problem.

Probe stations are a nightmare of cross coupling, random inductance and other issues not easily controlled. Use them for DC measurements only, and even there, be cautious about resistive contacts and other things.

Once you are on a PCB with a packaged part, get everything going into the part quiet and selectively filtered. If that doesn't isolate things, then its time to put it inside a metal box.

Let us know what happens!
good luck
- jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #25 - Dec 14th, 2009, 7:41pm

Hi Aaron,

the RTS-noise does not have spikes in the frequency domain. It is so called because of the discrete nature of traps. Depending on the effect of the observed quantity like channel conduction current you can see the discrete nature. Trapping aquire and release can have a very wide time spread. In very small devices <25nm a small number electron charges define the amount of current flow in the channel of a MOS. In some experimental techs <10nm RTS current fluctuation could be 30% leaving it also useless for digital design.

In bipolar operation trapping have an effect on the base recombination. So yoo could see RTS-noise in the base current but the effect will be much less than in MOS-operation. So trap rich zones near the surface or isolation oxides touching base regions are sensitive.

In the case of the old lateral PPNP (Lateral Poly PNP) where the lateral base zone is defined by gate ring enclosing the P+ emitter diffusion there are traps similar to MOS operation. The gate electrode is the fifth's connector of this device. If it is sligthly negative biased you surpress the effect of traps below the gate plate. So 1/f-noise is reduced in this parasitic PNP. The brother of this device is the FPNP (Lateral Field Oxyde PNP) wheere the base is made by field oxyde, or STI in more advanced processes. Her you could not improce 1/f-noise by biasing. These improvement are used to lower 1/f-noise in bandgaps in CMOS using the PPNP.

I think you device show similar effects. The peaks in frequency domain are instrumentation noise.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #26 - Dec 14th, 2009, 8:03pm

rf-design wrote on Dec 14th, 2009, 7:41pm:
I think you device show similar effects. The peaks in frequency domain are instrumentation noise.

I can't say one way or another, but I do know if you have a lot of base resistance 1/f noise will ruin your day. High sheet poly also gets pretty 1/ffy. But I think Aaron was more concerned with the peaks than the low freq noise.
rg

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.