The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 14th, 2024, 11:29am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LDO Line transients simulation in Spectre (Read 2661 times)
Dipankar
Community Member

LDO Line transients simulation in Spectre
Nov 27th, 2009, 7:59pm

Dear Experts,
                      Yesterday I hit an interesting thing. I was running transient analysis in Spectre  to check my LDO line regulation by ramping up and down the  VDD using a square wave pulse. For both  Errpreset = Conservative and Moderate. The output was stable - no ringing observed.

Now by default Spectre choose Gear2Only alogorithm when you take Errpreset = Conservative. I was affraid whether Gear2Only is subduing any  ringing actually may present in the circuit. So I changed the algorithm to Trap, Traponly , TrapGear2. And to my horror all of these algorithms was showing ringing at the output. Then I force the step and maxstep to be really small ( smaller than the  VDD rise time)  Gear2Only also started showing ringing. It prompted me to increase the PM of one loop causing potential instability.

But I am affraid from now on whether "Conservative" with Gear2Only is safe. Because normally we dont change any simulator setting and just choose the errpreset from ADE setting.

Hope you already have  faced this kinds of experience. Looking to hear from you all.

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: LDO Line transients simulation in Spectre
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2009, 12:00pm

« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2009, 3:26am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.