The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 3:10pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help regarding digital error correction in pipeline adc (Read 2628 times)
yvkrishna

help regarding digital error correction in pipeline adc
Jan 11th, 2010, 1:28am

Hi,
I am new to pipeline adc design, can some one help me in understanding digital error correction in detail,
I have read that it relaxes the comparator offset spec but could not understand how exactly it does.

any inputs/references?

Regards
yvkrishna

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: help regarding digital error correction in pipeline adc
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2010, 5:39am

yvkrishna wrote on Jan 11th, 2010, 1:28am:
Hi,
I am new to pipeline adc design, can some one help me in understanding digital error correction in detail,
I have read that it relaxes the comparator offset spec but could not understand how exactly it does.

any inputs/references?

Regards
yvkrishna

You mean digital redundancy. Unfortunately, the term "error correction" is used here. Digital redundancy is achieved by limiting the swing of the residue amplifier to half of the full scale range (+/- FS/2) around the comparator decision points, thereby ensuring that the smallest comparator offset does not push the residue outside the specified input range for the ADC.

The details cannot be discussed in a forum. Try reading up some papers. I can recommend the following:

1. Lewis, Gray, JSSC, Dec. 1987

2. Ginetti, Jespers, JSSC, Jul. 1992

There are tons of Ph.D theses on pipelined ADCs from Paul Gray's group which all discuss the concept to differing levels of detail, but maybe it is best to just read the papers.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time figuring out the concepts by yourself as the papers alone will not be enough.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Re: help regarding digital error correction in pipeline adc
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2010, 11:01pm

thanks for the reply.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.