The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 17th, 2024, 9:30pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Parasitic & Floating Capacitance (Read 2826 times)
Asmodeus

Parasitic & Floating Capacitance
Feb 24th, 2010, 12:56am

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some numbers so as to get an idea of magnitude of top plate and bottom plate parasitic capacitance in  MIMCAPs (data for other kind of capacitance implementation is also welcome Wink ). Can this information be found in PDKs ?? Any paper on it is really welcome.

Second doubt i have got is suppose if i am having a floating capacitance in my circuit. How does it affect my circuit. Does it really affect. My thinking is that a floating capacitance is not really floating due to presence of the parasitic capacitances. Please comment on it.

~VJ~
View Profile Asmodeus   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Parasitic & Floating Capacitance
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2010, 1:56am

Asmodeus wrote on Feb 24th, 2010, 12:56am:
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some numbers so as to get an idea of magnitude of top plate and bottom plate parasitic capacitance in  MIMCAPs (data for other kind of capacitance implementation is also welcome Wink ). Can this information be found in PDKs ?? Any paper on it is really welcome.

Second doubt i have got is suppose if i am having a floating capacitance in my circuit. How does it affect my circuit. Does it really affect. My thinking is that a floating capacitance is not really floating due to presence of the parasitic capacitances. Please comment on it.

Hi,

Usually MIM caps are made in relatively higher metal levels and both top and bottom plate parasitics are generally negligible (1-2%). Usually, this number should be in the process doc, but that depends on your foundry. Some may simply not specify it at all. What may be more relevant is parasitic capacitance to other nets running all around.

As to floating nets, one speaks of them as "floating" in a DC sense. This is not good because you may have coupling between a sensitive net and a noisy net through the capacitive bridge that the floating net provides. If the floating net is fairly large and tied to a gate, then you may have antenna problems during fabrication.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Parasitic & Floating Capacitance
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2010, 9:09pm

Hi Asmodeus,

For example, one MIM cap, bottom plate is Metal 5. I check the operating point.
CMIM=108.5fF, Cpar=0.86fF.
As what Vivek said, it depends on your PDK and SPICE model. Some foundry don't invest enough source into PDK and SPICE model so that you cannot see this information.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.