The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 1:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOS input bias current with esd diodes (Read 3967 times)
sos
Community Member

MOS input bias current with esd diodes
Mar 18th, 2010, 12:44pm

I'm a bipolar designer doing an MOS amplifier chip. The input pad connects to a fet gate plus the usual reverse biased esd diodes to each supply rail.

MOS amplifiers are expected to have picoAmp input bias currents. This seems like a lot to ask of the leakage in a relatively large esd diode. The foundry simulation models for a single diode show leakage of about 20pA with 5V across it, so they think it works, just a lot lower than I expected. I will appreciate any explanations to improve my intuition.

Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Re: MOS input bias current with esd diodes
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2010, 5:29pm

Steve - Nothing wrong with your intuition.

For generic Op-Amps CMOS, standard ESD is fine and most people can neglect the leakage.  Basic pad cells can have nA or uA at temperature.

For a precision devices, you'll obviously need custom ESD that meets your leakage specs.

Good luck,
Wave  :D

View Profile   IP Logged
sos
Community Member

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2010, 5:53am

wave wrote on Mar 18th, 2010, 5:29pm:
Steve - Nothing wrong with your intuition.

For generic Op-Amps CMOS, standard ESD is fine and most people can neglect the leakage.  Basic pad cells can have nA or uA at temperature.

For a precision devices, you'll obviously need custom ESD that meets your leakage specs.

Good luck,
Wave  :D

Do you think my foundry's models are reasonable at room temperature? I agree that the leakage should go up a lot with temperature.

Thanks,
Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
love_analog

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 4:37pm

You probably got your answer by now. I have worked with some BCD foundries before and their pad leakage was way higher than 20pA - more like 1uA or so.
Need a custom ESD cell with low junction area. Would be interested in what you find out.

loveanalog.blogspot.com
The Power of Analog
View Profile   IP Logged
sos
Community Member

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2010, 12:00pm

love_analog wrote on Apr 22nd, 2010, 4:37pm:
You probably got your answer by now. I have worked with some BCD foundries before and their pad leakage was way higher than 20pA - more like 1uA or so.
Need a custom ESD cell with low junction area. Would be interested in what you find out.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for my lack of attention. So far we've decided that the leakage is something less than 1nA, and we have board leakage issues. We're waiting for a board turn (putting ground rings around the inputs).

I'm on xfab xb06. My esd diodes are about 40% larger than a pad.

Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
love_analog

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2010, 12:41pm

Fabs tend to give you larger ESDs than required. Helps them to sell more wafers Smiley

loveanalog.blogspot.com
The Power of Analog
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.