The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 1:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Self-biased current mirror question (Read 11398 times)
Visjnoe

Self-biased current mirror question
Mar 27th, 2010, 6:34am

Dear all,

I have a question on a self-biased current mirror scheme which I often see in papers (see picture).

How is this structure intended to operate?

When you use devices with the same VT, you can easily see that the bottom transistor will always reside in the linear region.
OK, this is a form of 'degeneration', but linearity is usually
not so important when it comes to biasing current mirrors.
Also, when I perform handcalculations on the structure with
the bottom transistor in the linear region, I find you don't gain
much in terms of output impedance.

However, when you use a low-VT device in combination with a high-VT device, you can size this structure as a cascoded current mirror with the well-known 'gm*ro1*ro2' output impedance effect.

What is your opinion/experience on the intended operation of this structure?

Regards

Self_Bias_CM.png
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Self-biased current mirror question
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2010, 4:49pm

what you have drawn there is the electrical equivalent of a devive where the channel length (of the equivalent circuit) is essentially Lnew = Ltran X 2

Channel length got doubled in the bias configuration shown

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2010, 7:11am

Thanks for this comment.

Do you have any literature reference where this configuration is discussed in more detail? I still wonder about the operating region of both transistors in this configuration.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2010, 7:51am

I'm not sure there is any need for any literature. As mentioned you can simply treat the two devices as a single device with double the channel length...btw where did you see this device used? My thinking is its just a way of breaking up a long device into two smaller ones. Maybe for matching purposes or something like that.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2010, 10:32am

It is used for example in this paper:

Sinischalchi & al,  "A CMOS ADSL codec for central office applications", JSSC  March  2001.
They explicitly show that both devices in the stack are of different type in their implementation. It's this paper that got me thinking...

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2010, 12:50pm

Visjnoe wrote on Mar 29th, 2010, 10:32am:
It is used for example in this paper:

Sinischalchi & al,  "A CMOS ADSL codec for central office applications", JSSC  March  2001.
They explicitly show that both devices in the stack are of different type in their implementation. It's this paper that got me thinking...

Regards

i have no access to that paper at the moment, but i think although different types of device could make the realization easier, it is still possible with the same type. the upper one has to be in very deep weak inversion while the lower one is sized in very strong inversion. you can even tweak the Vt a little bit by biasing the bulk.

View Profile   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2010, 2:24pm

Here is a topic addressing the same/similar issue:
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1162979112/0

View Profile   IP Logged
sos
Community Member

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2010, 8:04am

Visjnoe wrote on Mar 27th, 2010, 6:34am:
When you use devices with the same VT, you can easily see that the bottom transistor will always reside in the linear region.
OK, this is a form of 'degeneration', but linearity is usually not so important when it comes to biasing current mirrors.
Also, when I perform handcalculations on the structure with the bottom transistor in the linear region, I find you don't gain
much in terms of output impedance.

However, when you use a low-VT device in combination with a high-VT device, you can size this structure as a cascoded current mirror with the well-known 'gm*ro1*ro2' output impedance effect.

The idea is that you specifically do not use the same size devices. Make the W/L of the upper device larger than that of the lower device. Make it large enough to provide headroom for the lower device so it is not in the linear region. This way you cascode the lower device without having to provide a special reference voltage. This is about the best you can do for a cascode that does not require higher supply voltage.  

Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2010, 10:35am

You cannot -through sizing- keep the lower device from being in the linear region.

The upper device requires at least VT as gate-source voltage to be on, therefore the drain-source voltage over the lower devices is lower than VGS-VT, thus it resides in the linear region.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2010, 7:53pm

Visjnoe wrote on Mar 30th, 2010, 10:35am:
You cannot -through sizing- keep the lower device from being in the linear region.

The upper device requires at least VT as gate-source voltage to be on, therefore the drain-source voltage over the lower devices is lower than VGS-VT, thus it resides in the linear region.

Regards

Actually, what you do is operate the top device in weak inversion so its Vgs < Vt. Alternatively you can bias the bulk, or use a different threshold device (like a "natural" NMOS) to keep the Vgs less than the Vt of the bottom device. I've seen circuit referred to as a self cascode.

I've grown wary of using this structure as a self cascode. The old CMOS models didn't handle it correctly and the results were different than I expected... and as a practical matter it is hard to get the bottom device far enough out of the linear region to where it really gives a big increase in output Z.

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2010, 3:26am

Dear Rob,

Thanks for the feedback.

From handcalculcations on this basic structure, I can indeed see that you don't gain much in terms of output impedance. Therefore, a true cascoded current mirror (with both devices in saturation) looks like the better option (obtain gm*ro1*ro2 as output impedance).

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2010, 9:35am

Visjnoe wrote on Mar 31st, 2010, 3:26am:
Dear Rob,

Thanks for the feedback.

From handcalculcations on this basic structure, I can indeed see that you don't gain much in terms of output impedance. Therefore, a true cascoded current mirror (with both devices in saturation) looks like the better option (obtain gm*ro1*ro2 as output impedance).

Regards

In theory if the top device is deep enough into weak inversion both devices will be in saturation. However, it has to be pretty deep weak inversion. There is a transition zone between linear and saturation with an relatively low impedance even though the simulation says its in saturation. It seems like you need 200 mV or more of Vds on the bottom device before you get the full ro impedance.

If you use a low-vt device the bottom device is definitely in saturation, but if that device's Vt is less than zero you can't diode connect the one side of the mirror which makes it pretty useless!

As a practical matter, the number of applications where this mirror works is pretty small. Mostly weak inversion applications.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
love_analog

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2010, 4:32pm

I guess this is an old thread but I found it interesting.

I have seen it used some 65nm etc type of technologies to increase gds of the device. Longer L doesn't really get you larger impedence (because of halo implant etc). So people take short L devices and put them in series to get larger impedence.

loveanalog.blogspot.com
The Power of Analog
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.