The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 6:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
phase noise effect on mixer (Read 393 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

phase noise effect on mixer
Mar 27th, 2010, 8:06pm

Hi all,

In a down-conversion mixer, we normally say that the effect of oscillator phase noise is to result in unwanted down-conversion of interfering signals into the desired IF. For example in the direct-conversion receiver (DCR), if the phase noise at 1 MHz offset mixes with an interferer at 1 MHz offset from the desired tone, it will cause in-band distortion at the IF.

Normally, in order to calculate the required phase noise performance of the oscillator, we assume that there is a linear relationship between the gain and the phase noise power. For example, if the total phase noise in a 1 kHz BW is -50 dBc (at 1 MHz offset), and the gain due to the desired LO carrier is 0 dB, then the undesired gain at 1 MHz offset is -50 dB over the 10 kHz BW.

So my question is, how accurate is this model? I expect that it is different for active and passive mixers. Both active and passive mixers show saturation in the conversion gain for high LO power. Any thoughts are helpful and welcome.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: phase noise effect on mixer
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2010, 4:44pm

Hm, its a passband response, and the gain is relative to the passband center gain I would think.

Passive mixer 0dB at the center of the band
Active mixer 6dB at teh center of the band

In both cases  I would think that the spectral spreading is relative to that.

jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.