The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 8:36am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power vs Voltage (Read 5217 times)
Seeker

Power vs Voltage
Apr 01st, 2010, 7:28pm

Greetings,

This is my first post here. I am a grad student and just starting to learn RF circuits. I am hoping to learn from this smart forum.

I have been puzzled with these questions for sometime.

The first question is when to treat a signal as voltage and when as power. In conventional low frequency analog circuits, we always deal only in voltages, but why do we shift to power in RF circuits?

Why do we want power matching in RF circuits. It seems like the information is a voltage signal. So, really we should be interested in maximum voltage transfer as opposed to maximum power transfer (?) and in that sense our aim should be to maximize input impedance of stages.

Even in conventional low frequency circuits' output stages when driving a speaker for instance, there is much talk about delivering the maximum power to the speaker when in fact in the preceding amplification stages, we have been amplifying the voltage. Why is this so?

Your insights are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Power vs Voltage
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2010, 12:36am

Hi,

I don't know the straight-forward answer to this question because it puzzles me too. I think using voltage is just a simplification (a very accurate one at low frequencies) and in fact we are more generally concerned with power. Bear in mind a few things:

1) For the same voltage, higher resistance implies lower power (V2/R) and smaller bandwidth (Bode-Fano Criterion).

2) All real capacitors have some resistance associated with them. Naturally this includes the input capacitance of a MOSFET. If this resistance is represented in parallel with the input capacitance, then the maximum power delivered to this resistance coincides with the maximum voltage across the gate. Of course we rarely see the effect of this input resistance since the Q of the MOSFET input impedance is significantly higher than on-chip inductors used for matching, and even if we could match to such a high Q input impedance, the bandwidth would be too small.

3) Commonly used input matching techniques for LNAs involve synthesis of an on-chip resistance (because the Q of the input capacitance is too high). Of course there are several ways to do this such as inductive degeneration, resistive shunt feedback, common-gate, resistive termination etc.

4) Power matching isn't always required and isn't always possible. You should always try and justify why or not power matching is used. One thing you may want to consider is that off-chip components such as filters couplers etc are designed for matched loads, and their performance may not be optimum without a matched load.

These are my thoughts (and most of it you can find in a book somewhere), so please feel free to refute any mistakes I may have made...

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Steve_S

Tempe, AZ
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:22am

Hi,

First let me say I'm not an RF design engineer.

However, it seems to me that matching for power makes sense from an efficiency standpoint.
Clearly, in any situation where the application requires significant power or has a limited power source
(battery) then optimizing power efficiency is essential. Power matching maximizes the power transfer
and thereby provides the greatest efficiency.

Best Regards,
Steve

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2010, 7:19pm

Hi Steve,

I think I have to correct you there. Actually when the source is matched to the load, the maximum possible efficiency achievable is only 50%. PA designs can achieve in excess of this number by deliberately not matching the source to the load. As a simple example, a thevenin equivalent source with a load resistance has maximum efficiency when the load resistance is infinite. Of course in that situation, the power transfer tends to zero.

Because of this efficiency trade-off, power matching is more important from a small signal stand point than a large signal one. In a large signal amplifier you must worry about DC power dissipation and power dissipation of unwanted harmonics.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2010, 3:54am

I would just like to add a little to Aaron's response:

Power is useful when comparing signals because voltage and current in a circuit often depend on impedance levels depending on where you are measuring them, but power takes impedance into consideration.

Controlled impedance systems:
In a "system" there may be a variety of different impedances or there may be "controlled" impedances (such as 50 or 75 ohm systems). If the impedance is "controlled" or defined then it is easier to compare signals (desired, interfering, distortion, noise, etc.) in power because all signals are reffered to defined load/source impedances. And as Aaron pointed out, a component (filter, amplifier, mixer, etc) designed for a specific load/source impedance may not work properly if it is connected to a arbitrary impedance (filter response may be off, insertion loss maybe high, or an amplifier may oscillate). Controlled impedances are also very important if the signal must be transfered through a transmission line over a distance that is comparable to the wavelength of the highest frequency of interest in the system. Impedance mismatches on transmission lines can cause large peaks in voltage or current at points along the line that could damage active components (exceed rated values).

Integrated circuits:
Now, all that said, things are little different in the integrated circuit design world. Integrated circuit design deals mainly with transistors, resistors, caps and a few inductors with very close connections. So, we are not as concerned about stading waves between circuit connections on chip (for frequencies below 5-6GHz). With integrated circuits it is easier to talk about signals as voltage or current mode with voltage mode implying current sources (transistors) driving high resistance loads while current mode implies current sources driving low impedance transistor loads (this may be too loose of a description). It is no longer very meaningful to talk about load and source power because the resitive impedances change widely, but it is still meaningful to compare signals using a 20*log10(V) or 20*log10(I) scales as if we are comparing relative power at different points in the circuit.
I am getting a bit fuzzy here because the justification for using voltage or current for comparisons is dictated by the way we use signals and what is meaningful at different parts of the system.

Power Applications:
Power definitions and considerations are most clear when the job of the circuit is to deliver a specific amount of power to a well defined load (antenna, speaker, motor, LED, backplane, loaded cable, etc.). For power transmission the impedance and power levels are defined, so large signal voltage and current signal levels must be considered. Some applications are efficiency sensitive while others may have signal to noise and distortion as a more stringent consideration.

I probably should stop rambling ...

View Profile   IP Logged
oversea

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2010, 12:16pm

aaron_do wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010, 12:36am:
Hi,

I don't know the straight-forward answer to this question because it puzzles me too. I think using voltage is just a simplification (a very accurate one at low frequencies) and in fact we are more generally concerned with power. Bear in mind a few things:

1) For the same voltage, higher resistance implies lower power (V2/R) and smaller bandwidth (Bode-Fano Criterion).

2) All real capacitors have some resistance associated with them. Naturally this includes the input capacitance of a MOSFET. If this resistance is represented in parallel with the input capacitance, then the maximum power delivered to this resistance coincides with the maximum voltage across the gate. Of course we rarely see the effect of this input resistance since the Q of the MOSFET input impedance is significantly higher than on-chip inductors used for matching, and even if we could match to such a high Q input impedance, the bandwidth would be too small.

3) Commonly used input matching techniques for LNAs involve synthesis of an on-chip resistance (because the Q of the input capacitance is too high). Of course there are several ways to do this such as inductive degeneration, resistive shunt feedback, common-gate, resistive termination etc.

4) Power matching isn't always required and isn't always possible. You should always try and justify why or not power matching is used. One thing you may want to consider is that off-chip components such as filters couplers etc are designed for matched loads, and their performance may not be optimum without a matched load.

These are my thoughts (and most of it you can find in a book somewhere), so please feel free to refute any mistakes I may have made...

cheers,
Aaron

I agree with 4), which I think makes most sense. Impedance matching is for the preceding stage load.

View Profile   IP Logged
oversea

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2010, 12:22pm

aaron_do wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010, 7:19pm:
Hi Steve,

I think I have to correct you there. Actually when the source is matched to the load, the maximum possible efficiency achievable is only 50%. PA designs can achieve in excess of this number by deliberately not matching the source to the load. As a simple example, a thevenin equivalent source with a load resistance has maximum efficiency when the load resistance is infinite. Of course in that situation, the power transfer tends to zero.

Because of this efficiency trade-off, power matching is more important from a small signal stand point than a large signal one. In a large signal amplifier you must worry about DC power dissipation and power dissipation of unwanted harmonics.

cheers,
Aaron

I disagree with that. In general amplifier has limited output ability when DC bias is fixed. So in order to draw specific output power, you have to make impedance match. When matched, the efficiency will be biggest.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2010, 7:18pm

Hi oversea,

I'm not sure how you are defining efficiency here. I was talking about power efficiency i.e. power into the load divided by total power consumed. It is easily shown that a matched load results in no more than 50% power efficiency (see any book on PA design). On the other hand, an unmatched load can theoretically achieve 100% efficiency although the power to the load will be zero. Just take a Thevenin equivalent source and use a large load. Then calculate both the power efficiency and the load power. Alternatively use a Norton equivalent source and very small load.

If you are talking about small signal amplification then the power to the load is insignificant compared to the total power dissipated, so it is meaningless to talk about power efficiency. Maybe you are referring to efficiency in some other sense of the word...

cheers,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.