The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 2:37am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Developing a practically usable spice simulator (Read 4299 times)
leander

Beijing
Developing a practically usable spice simulator
Apr 10th, 2010, 11:02pm

I am now working on a project relating to circuit simulation. This project requires to develop a simulator that works as hspice or spectre. The emphasis here is not to develop a purely academic tool to verify new ideas and publish papers, otherwise spice3f5 can be adopted directly. The simulator should be able to be used for real designs.

The most straightforward way is to work on an existing versin of spice, like spice3f5 or its enhanced versions like ngspice. Before rushing into writting code, I want to estimate how much effort I need to pay before getting a decent simulator that is to some extent 'close' to hspice or spectre. To be more specific, the simulator needs to be:

1) as robust and accurate as hspice or spectre. Comparisons with hspice and spectre need to be done for typical analog circuits, and the results should not be distinguishably different.

2) not significantly slower than hspice or spectre in transient simulation of small to medium size circuits (N < 1000 or so), 2X to 3X slower may be acceptable.

What I want to know is how hard it is to achieve the above specs given the resources that are commonly available in Universities. Basically this is equivalent to asking that after so many years developments of circuit simulators, how much new stuff has been added in hspice or spectre based upon the techniques that has been used 20 years ago in Berkeley spice. Currently spice, or even ngspice, is much slower than hspice and spectre, and its convergence is also not very good. Is it easy to resolve these issues with all-known tricks or the EDA vendors have some "secret ingredients"?

- leander

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Developing a practically usable spice simulator
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2010, 2:31am

There are quite a lot of papers on developments in circuit simulation (I'm sure you can find them with some searching - I'm not going to do that for you). However, the answer to your question is probably fairly obvious - a number of commercial companies have invested a lot of R&D resource over the intervening years, and clearly made some significant improvements in terms of speed, convergence, models, and the kinds of analysis that you can perform within those simulators.

Fairly obviously such work is not "easy". Some of the improvements are well known (see the literature) and some will have some element of patented work (or at least trade secrets).

A bit of a vague answer, I'm afraid (not really quite sure what else you would have expected) - and this is not just because I work for Cadence - this is my view as an observer of the industry (both as a designer and a supporter of tools) for a long time.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
leander

Beijing
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2010, 5:43am

Thanks for your quick reply, Andrew.

I fully aware the efforts paid by comercial companies during the past two decades, and my intent is not something to compete with hspice and spectre. The performance requirement is not very high as mentioned in my original post.

Let me change a way of asking. If starting with an open source spice, and applying major well-known improvements that are available in literature, and only focusing on transient simulation, what can be expected? 5X, 3X, or even 2X slower than hspice? It would be good if someone may share some experience on, e.g. which part should be the first to work on, integration algorithm, time step control, Newton's method, etc...

As a preliminary experiment to justify the aforementioned speed-down factor of 2X~5X, I have tested the latest version of ngspice using a circuit with a few hundred components. Ngspice is about 9X slower than Hspice. The time points of ngspice is 5X more than that of hspice. So I am expecting to see a "speed-down" factor of 5X, or more optimistically 2X~3X be achieved after reasonable improvements.

- leander

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2010, 7:06am by leander »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2010, 11:08am

I don't know what sorts of tricks are already in ngspice, so it's hard for me to comment.

If ngspice is taking 5X more timepoints, fixing that should get you where you want to be, no?  Do you understand why this is?  Are your tolerances set comparably?

It would also be a good idea to see if you can figure out how many Newton iterations are done.  You may have trouble getting a number from HSpice for comparison; but I guess 2-5 per timepoint might be a reasonable number.  If ngspice is taking more, you'd need to understand why.

After that, I would suggest that you look into vtune, quantify, or some other sort of profiler, which should show you where ngspice spends most of its cpu time.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2010, 7:55am

I think the major step from spice3g5 was more efficient sparse matrix code which reflect or is tuned to the actual memory hierachy. Matrix runtime dominate for biggers circuits and most good sparse code use the CPU only to 10-20% max. That seems not to change because sparse code has an unmatched data structure to the deep pipeline execution. Special processors can boost speed by about 10x and power by 100x or more. But the hw dev cost does not justify a special purpose processor.

Other techniques use the partly circuit inactivity to reduce the matrix update only on active parts or reduction of duplicate cells.

To my understanding only research into uncovered directions make sense for circuit simulation. You can probably dev a simulator for less cost but the existing code is already in work and you can only earn on the profitbility tail.

So search in new directions.

1. True multirate time integration
2. Variable resolution for each instance
3. Parallel device equation resolution
4. Instant device equation->table conversion
5. Combination of sparse direct and indirect matrix solution
6. Parallel sparse matrix code optimization to circuit simulation
7. Cloud integration

The papers which reflect a little bit of the above have the titles:

Performance Comparison of Single-Precision SPICE Model-Evaluation
on FPGA, GPU, Cell, and multi-core Processors

Improving Analog Simulation Speed using Selective Matrix Update

KLU{A HIGH PERFORMANCE SPARSE LINEAR SOLVER
FOR CIRCUIT SIMULATION PROBLEMS

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.