The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 6:48pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
preciseness  of tstep, tsrobe in transient analysis (Read 2542 times)
yvkrishna

preciseness  of tstep, tsrobe in transient analysis
May 10th, 2010, 8:36am

hi all,

This is regarding fft,snr calculations in spice for T/H circuit of an ADC.
For finding the fft of a sine wave we choose  freq of input (fin) such that there are prime number of cycles of input in N clock cycles(which is 2^n, n is integer).
So strobing one point per each clock cycle would be sufficient for fft . however tstep of .TRAN need to be lesser than that. (correct me if i am wrong)

my doubt is how to choose tstep , how small should it be compared to fin or fs(clock freq) ?

also I have seen people(in some of matlab scripts) taking some 256 points per clock cycle for both tstep and tstrobe .

So should the tstep and tstrobe always  be that small, that too a multiple of 2^x ??  some one please help me out in understanding this ..

ex:  fs=80e6 , nfft=2^14 ,  and here fin =5.219726563e6  ( when 1069 cycles of input is chosen for 2^14 cycles of clock)
and the tstep,tstrobe here was   48.828125ps . this number(which is 1/(256*fs) ) made me to raise this doubt.

thanks for the replies..

regards,
yvkrishna

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: preciseness  of tstep, tsrobe in transient analysis
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2010, 9:09am

yvkrishna,
one output point per sample clock (at appropriate position wrt clock edges) is sufficient for the FFT. However, strobing more often will help you debugging your simulation(proper sample position, settling time etc). Of course, strobing frequency needs to be an integer multiple of sampling frequency.

Hope this helps
B.O.E.

View Profile   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Re: preciseness  of tstep, tsrobe in transient analysis
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2010, 6:10am

Thanks for the reply B.O.E.,

Yes that would help in debugging, The strobing frequency needs to be an integer multiple of sampling frequency, but is it necessarily a power of 2 ? In my example it was 256 i.e, 2^8 ..

Thanks,
yvkrishna

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.