The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 4:43am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low Pass Filter Problem . Expert advice needed. (Read 3760 times)
Digital

Low Pass Filter Problem . Expert advice needed.
May 20th, 2010, 1:11am

I am trying to remove the 1st and 2nd harmonic from a transmitter I have designed in the 433mhz band. It puts out 17dbm.. The transmitter is all surface mount based around the SX1230 chip.

Ive built two 5 element low pass filters with SMA in and out connectors and tested them with a spectrum analyzer with tracking gen. Both perform well with less than 1 db of insertion attenuation at 433mhz and around 25 db at 860mhz.

The problem is when I test them with my transmitter there seems to be no visible reduction in the harmonics when viewed with the spec ann.

This makes absolutely no sense to me infact it even sounds ridiculous.

Has anyone got any ideas of where I’m going wrong.???

View Profile   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Re: Low Pass Filter Problem . Expert advice needed.
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2010, 1:20pm

Can you add some more details:
Is the 433M a carrier or the signal as well (ie baseband frequency?)

What is the BW of the 2 LPF by spec and confirmed by measurement on network analyzer?

Do all the impedances match when connected together in the system?  ie 50 ohm terminations?

What do you expect to transmit at?  
A 1st harmonic is the fundamental, so perhaps you actually mean the 2nd and 3rd harmnonics?  That would transmit more of sinewave as opposed to a squarewave.

cheers!
Wave

Digital wrote on May 20th, 2010, 1:11am:
I am trying to remove the 1st and 2nd harmonic from a transmitter I have designed in the 433mhz band. It puts out 17dbm.. The transmitter is all surface mount based around the SX1230 chip.

Ive built two 5 element low pass filters with SMA in and out connectors and tested them with a spectrum analyzer with tracking gen. Both perform well with less than 1 db of insertion attenuation at 433mhz and around 25 db at 860mhz.

The problem is when I test them with my transmitter there seems to be no visible reduction in the harmonics when viewed with the spec ann.

This makes absolutely no sense to me infact it even sounds ridiculous.

Has anyone got any ideas of where I’m going wrong.???

View Profile   IP Logged
Digital

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2010, 6:12pm

Wave..

1st harmonic is the fundamental.. Cheesy

That would transmit more of sinewave as opposed to a squarewave.   Grin

Sorry but i need expert advice

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2010, 2:42am

To make LC filter work effectively, termination impedances for passband and stopband are very important.

The transmitter is all surface mount based around the SX1230 chip.
Show me output reflection coefficient of transmitter by network analyzer measurement.

Ive built two 5 element low pass filters with SMA in and out connectors and tested them with a spectrum analyzer with tracking gen.
Both perform well with less than 1 db of insertion attenuation at 433mhz and around 25 db at 860mhz.
Show me S-parameters(S11,S12,S21,S22) of one LPF and cascaded two LPF.

What do you mean by "ann" ?
Don't use unfamiliar abbreviation.

Try to insert lossy matching pad between transmitter and LPF or between two LPFs.
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/attenuators.htm

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2010, 8:41am

Quote:
Wave..

1st harmonic is the fundamental.. Cheesy

That would transmit more of sinewave as opposed to a squarewave.   Grin

Sorry but i need expert advice

As far as I know the 1st harmonic is the fundamental. Regardless, you obviously need some humility to go along with your expert advice.

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2010, 10:35am

Are you sure that your transmitter is getting distortion from the spec analyzer, try setting the attenuation in the spec analyzer 10dB more and if your 866MHz spur drops more than 10dB then that is a contributor.  Also goto http://www.rfcooltools.com and experiment with the filter synthesis tool.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.