The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 8:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Still confused about capacitances in BSIM (Read 3553 times)
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Still confused about capacitances in BSIM
May 28th, 2010, 11:39am

Hi,

I read Andrew Beckett's explanation of how BSIM 3v3 defines MOSFET capacitance, but I am still confused in practice.  I did a DC simulation in Eldo where I swept Vgs and W of the NMOS device and then got the BSIM states for the different capacitors (Cgs, Cgd, Cgg) using .PLOT DC statements.  I also did a single point simulation in Eldo to sanity check and back annotated the results into Cadence Composer.  My problem is the Cadence back annotation says that the Cgg is 2.24fF for my particular device which is 2.4X the value I get from .PLOT DC S(M0->CGG).  All the other BSIM values I checked, such as Id, Vth, gm, etc, came out spot on.  

The BSIM values give crazy results for calculating ft, but the back annotated values from Cadence are in the ballpark.  What am I doing wrong?  Are there other caps I need to add into the BSIM analysis?  I want to characterize this device in a script so I can't just go off the back annotation value.  Besides, I want to make sure I understand what is going on with the model.

Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Re: Still confused about capacitances in BSIM
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2010, 2:36pm

Did a bit more research on this and have determined that the Cgs, Cgg, etc. I get from BSIM are only the intrinsic capacitances, and I need to somehow access the extrinsic caps, namely the caps due to overlap and fringing.  Now my question is, does anyone know how to access these in SPICE or Eldo?  I read the BSIM manual and it gives a list of states you can access.  The intrinsic caps on on there, but not the total or extrinsic caps.

Thanks,
Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2010, 3:50pm

OK, so this feels a bit like an echo chamber, but I sorted the issue out and I'm going to update everyone in case someone else gets a new job where Eldo is used.  Basically, the state syntax .PLOT DC S(M0->CGG) only gives a portion of CGG.  In fact, according to the Eldo .chi file CGG = CGG + CGDO + CGSO.  This is confusing enough that they use CGG to mean two different things (namely, intrinsic gate capacitance and total gate capacitance), but CGDO and CGSO are not available using the state syntax.  So, basically, what I was trying to do would not work.

Luckily, there is another way in Eldo.  You can use the .PLOT command to get a large number of device parameters directly.  For example, .PLOT DC CGG(M0) gives the total gate capacitance.  Seems so simple, now, but that 1000 page Eldo manual is formidable!  

Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - May 29th, 2010, 7:15am

carlgrace wrote on May 28th, 2010, 3:50pm:
OK, so this feels a bit like an echo chamber

no, we're all listening.... and learning, thanks for the information  :)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.