The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 10:44am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spectre +turbo Simulations slower than Spectre Simulations (Read 1072 times)
cmos.analogvala
Community Member

India
Spectre +turbo Simulations slower than Spectre Simulations
May 16th, 2010, 11:26pm

I have been trying to reduce simulation time of my netlist for quite some time.  

I tried many things from  moving to MMSIM to reducing netlist itself.  We came to know that with Spectre +turbo simulations can run faster.

We tried to simulate a long netlist using spectre and spectre +turbo. on the same OS and the same machine.  We found that Spectre +turbo was slower than spectre.  From the log file it appears that spectre+turbo is taking very small steps, hence it's slower than spectre.

Any clues why so ? Is there a way to improve step size of spectre + turbo simulations? Is there any other way of getting faster results without compromising accuracy ?  

Thanking You,
CA

View Profile   IP Logged
Marq Kole

Hmmm. That's
weird...

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Re: Spectre +turbo Simulations slower than Spectre Simulations
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2010, 2:58pm

What Spectre +turbo does differently from regular Spectre is that the device evaluations are run multi-threaded. This encompasses a little overhead, so normally this is switched on when there are at least 256 devices per thread. Also the devices have to require evaluation - in generally this concerns mainly semiconductor models (BSIM, PSP, etc.).

If you do not want to compromise accuracy, there is generally very little you can do in Spectre +turbo. You could try to run with errpreset=liberal, but that reduces accuracy a little - it might be acceptable for your design/simulation.

Another alternative is to consider Virtuoso APS which is a true parallel simulator from Cadence, or look to high performance simulators from other vendors such as AFS from BDA or FineSim from Magma, to name just a few.

Cheers,
Marq

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2010, 5:54am

spectre +turbo shouldn't be slower -- Cadence R&D might be interested in your test case.

Have you tried other test cases?  Can you break off blocks of this netlist and see if you can narrow down where the problem is?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2010, 8:37am

Hi Marq,

This is interesting. I want to know what Spectre + Turbo do in the simulation. Does it run the device evaluation multi-threaded only? I think the device evaluation is done at the begining of a DC/AC/tran analysis. So it cannot reduce the simulation time significantly. Is it correct?

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2010, 7:08am

ywguo wrote on May 27th, 2010, 8:37am:
I think the device evaluation is done at the begining of a DC/AC/tran analysis. So it cannot reduce the simulation time significantly. Is it correct?

Yawei - you're confused.  Device evaluation is done for every iteration of every dc sweep point or time point, so speeding up evaluation would certainly speed up dc/tran analysis.

(It might not be a big deal for an ac analysis, since the results for one dc op pt are used for all the frequency points of the sweep, and speeding up evaluation only helps with the dc op pt.)

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #5 - May 31st, 2010, 12:27am

Thank you, Geoffrey_Coram.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.