The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 4:43pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mixed-signal transient simulation (Read 2634 times)
Ruritania

Canada
Mixed-signal transient simulation
May 31st, 2010, 5:09pm

Hi,

I'm having the problem of running the mixed-signal transient analysis, which is taking too long time for simulation and very inefficient for debugging and analysis. The previous run took me five more hours.

The circuit I've been building is half analog and half custom designed digital. The main circuits of the analog are amplifiers and comparators, and the digital are some combinational and sequential logics which is trying to auto-calibrate the analog circuits' gain and offsets.

I know that there's one way to speed up the simulation is to partition the circuits into analog and digital, if the digital part is at the functional level (for example, verilogA or VHDL).

Since right now both the analog and digital are transistor level, I can only set the same simulation accuracy for them in transient analysis (considering comparators are involved, the simulation accuracy must be set high enough for reasonable results). I'm wondering whether it is possible to tell the simulator (spectre) which part is the digital and which part is the analog, so that I can set their simulation accuracy separately?

OR, is there any other way to speed up the simulation in the given cases?

Thanks,
Ruri

View Profile   IP Logged
bernd

Munich/Germany
Re: Mixed-signal transient simulation
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2010, 1:15am

IF you have MMSIM token licenses "Virtuoso_Multi_mode_Simulation" you
probably have access to Ultrasim, which is a FastSpice simulator.
With Ultrasim you can define the simulation accuracy, form true Spice Model equation to table based models and other speed up techniques, per instance though the configuration view with the Hierarchy Editor. For details please check the docs.

* bernd

Just another lonesome cad guy
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ruritania

Canada
Re: Mixed-signal transient simulation
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2010, 8:05am

bernd wrote on Jun 1st, 2010, 1:15am:
IF you have MMSIM token licenses "Virtuoso_Multi_mode_Simulation" you
probably have access to Ultrasim, which is a FastSpice simulator.
With Ultrasim you can define the simulation accuracy, form true Spice Model equation to table based models and other speed up techniques, per instance though the configuration view with the Hierarchy Editor. For details please check the docs.

* bernd

Thank you, bernd.

I just checked the licenses, we do not have the Ultrasim feature ...  :(

Ruri

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.