The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 11:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cap size for pipelined ADC (matching question) (Read 5526 times)
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Cap size for pipelined ADC (matching question)
Jun 15th, 2010, 9:47am

I'm a bit confused about choosing caps based on mismatch data.  Say, for instance, that the process I'm using claims I need 1.2 pF of capacitance for a three-sigma mismatch of 0.1% (I'm trying to build a 10-bit ADC).  Now, does that mean both the sampling and feedback cap need to be 1.2 pF to get this matching, or is the total capacitance I'm sampling with (two caps) need to be 1.2 pF so each cap can be 600 fF?  The design manual is not clear about this.

Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: Cap size for pipelined ADC (matching question)
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2010, 5:27pm

Who knows... Generally the number is between two caps of equal size, so you would need both caps to be 1.2pF. However, I'd check with the guys who gave you the number!

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2010, 9:57pm

Both need to be 1.2pF individually. That's how i would interpret it.

--M

View Profile   IP Logged
Maks
Community Member

San Jose
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2010, 7:23am

carlgrace wrote on Jun 15th, 2010, 9:47am:
I'm a bit confused about choosing caps based on mismatch data.  Say, for instance, that the process I'm using claims I need 1.2 pF of capacitance for a three-sigma mismatch of 0.1% (I'm trying to build a 10-bit ADC).  Now, does that mean both the sampling and feedback cap need to be 1.2 pF to get this matching, or is the total capacitance I'm sampling with (two caps) need to be 1.2 pF so each cap can be 600 fF?  The design manual is not clear about this.

Carl

And don't forget about the mismatch induced by the layout and capacitive coupling to the nets surrounding the unit caps.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2010, 1:56am

Read the process manual carefully. Usually, they specify how the mismatch is defined and sometimes even the test structure used. Note that the definition may not be consistent with the setup used.

Nonetheless, it says somewhere whether the variation is computed for mismatch between 2 identical caps of size C or if it would be the variation of 1 cap with respect to its mean value.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2010, 10:42am

Don't forget the KT/C calculation as well. 10 bits?
I would get 3-6dB noise margin on just that.

That might dictate a larger set of capacitors, you need to
go do the math and put margin into the design.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2010, 3:31pm

I did do the kT/C noise calculation and I'm mismatch limited at 10 bits for my signal swing.  Getting answers out of TSMC is like getting blood out of a stone.  I'm sure they have a document with detailed mismatch data.  Why they won't send it to me and seem to be deliberately misunderstanding my questions is beyond me.  I'm going to do a couple simple simulations with the statistical models and see if they correlate with what I expect.  Thanks for the help, everyone!

Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.