The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:37pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CML Ringoscillator (Read 344 times)
znieH

CML Ringoscillator
Jun 17th, 2010, 2:57am

Hi,

my first project in Circuit Designing is a CML Ringoscillator, that consists of 53 Inverter. The Inverters are designed as differential pair of SiGe HBTs. I perform PreLayout as well as PostLayout (transmission lines included) simulations in Spectre.

Shocked What is strange for me, is that the output frequency of the PostLayout simulation with parasitics is faster (about 20%). I think that is because there is an additional inductance in series to the collector resistance (Rc) through adding the transmission lines, but I can not really explain for myself why. Can anybody help me?

Regards and thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Re: CML Ringoscillator
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2010, 4:35pm

Time const is set by R || Ccb and in parallel with (Cbe+Ce of the next device ). So it may be that the impedance at the emitter has increased possibly because of resistance to the current source.

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2010, 9:10pm

Please Check your models.
20% faster is a huge difference in simulation b/w layout & schematic simulation.
Generally, post-layout is slower due to added routing capacitances.
I dont think interconnect inductance would be huge enough to cause a visible effect.

Quote:
Time const is set by R || Ccb and in parallel with (Cbe+Ce of the next device ). So it may be that the impedance at the emitter has increased possibly because of resistance to the current source.
An increase in Impedance would increase the Time Constant, thereby decreasing frequency.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2010, 10:31pm

Mayank,

What do you think the time const will increase or decrease?

http://rfcooltools.com

better_description.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2010, 11:27pm

Below is the attached figure as i understand....

mayank_better_description.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
znieH

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2010, 12:41am

First of all thanks for your andwers.

@Mayank
Please Check your models. 20% faster is a huge difference in simulation b/w layout & schematic simulation. Generally, post-layout is slower due to added routing capacitances.

It is a new process, designers told me automatic post layout simulation is not yet  possible. Parasitics have to be included by hand, so there is at the moment only the model of the transmission lines in series with its resistance, no routing capacitances included.

I dont think interconnect inductance would be huge enough to cause a visible effect.
I added in the Pre-Layout a inductance in series to Rc and the output frequency increase as in the Post-Layout simulation. Designers told me its a shock inductance but I asked google and found nothing that explain my problem. (Only for understanding the designers are french and their english is not so good, so I have to find out by myself.)

View Profile   IP Logged
znieH

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2010, 12:47am

Could it be that the matching between the inverter stages is improved by the inductor in series to Rc??

Hope I didn't say something stupid Roll Eyes

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2010, 3:16am

Quote:
It is a new process, designers told me automatic post layout simulation is not yet  possible. Parasitics have to be included by hand, so there is at the moment only the model of the transmission lines in series with its resistance, no routing capacitances included.

Which transmission lines are you talking about ?
Are you including any such T-line models in your schematic ??

Quote:
I added in the Pre-Layout a inductance in series to Rc and the output frequency increase as in the Post-Layout simulation. Designers told me its a shock inductance but I asked google and found nothing that explain my problem. (Only for understanding the designers are french and their english is not so good, so I have to find out by myself.)
Havent heard of any shock inductance arising at source node, unless you deliberately place one.

View Profile   IP Logged
znieH

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2010, 3:53am

Are you including any such T-line models in your schematic ??

Yes, it is only the vias that had to be calculated by hand.

Havent heard of any shock inductance arising at source node, unless you deliberately place one.

I think I found what they have meant. The effect is called SHUNT PEAKING. And sorry if I was not precise enough, but I was talking of HBTs and  the inductance is between the node of the collector and the Rc resistance.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2010, 9:31am

Mayank,

TC=2*pi/(RC)
You have it inverted in your diagram.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2010, 10:47am

Last Time i checked, Time Constant is RC or L/R.

F-3db = 1/(2*pi*TC) though if that's what you are referring to.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.