The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
phase noise increase due to FD-to-SE converter (Read 6237 times)
OpAmp

phase noise increase due to FD-to-SE converter
Jun 17th, 2010, 3:05pm

Hi,

I have designed a fully differential (FD) ring oscillator. It has a fairly decent phase noise. I need to convert the FD output of the oscillator to singe-ended (SE). When I use a simple diff pair to do that the phase noise at high frequencies degrades considerably. In other words, the phase noise at the output of the oscillator (input of the FD-to-SE is still good), but the phase noise at the output of the FD-to-SE converter is not good at high frequencies.

I was wondering is there a good FD-to-SE converter which does not add much phase noise/jitter?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Re: phase noise increase due to FD-to-SE converter
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2010, 9:05pm

Quote:
When I use a simple diff pair to do that the phase noise at high frequencies degrades considerably.

Do not use Tail Current Source. Keep sizes large.

--M

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2010, 11:50am

OpAmp,

Use a totem pole circuit sometimes called push-pull output driver.

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
love_analog

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2010, 6:34am

Mayank, rfctools
Why does the OP's phase noise degrade. I would have thought since its outside the VCO loop, the noise is just going to raise the thermal noise floor rather than get integrated. I am curious to see if I am right.

BTW, how do your solutions help.

loveanalog.blogspot.com
The Power of Analog
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2010, 9:15pm

Quote:
Why does the OP's phase noise degrade
Any extra circuitry you add is gonna inject its own noise. Hence, phase noise of the signal coming from VCO is bound to increase.

Quote:
I would have thought since its outside the VCO loop, the noise is just going to raise the thermal noise floor rather than get integrated.
The noise neednt be just thermal. The circuit's flicker noise will also gt injected into the system, which is not getting affected by preceding PLL's XF. Hence, unmodulated noise(both flicker n thermal) get added to the signal, thus degrading phase noise.

If by integration, you mean converting freq. signal to phase, then that you would have to do at FD-SE converter's output too.

Quote:
BTW, how do your solutions help.

Quote:
Do not use Tail Current Source. Keep sizes large.
No TCS means no flicker upconversion. Hence lower phase noise. Large sizes keep flicker from i/p pairs in control.

--M

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2010, 9:53am

Hi Mayank,

>No TCS means no flicker upconversion. Hence lower phase noise.
>Large sizes keep flicker from i/p pairs in control.

Is the mechanism for flicker up conversion due to the inherent non linearity of the diff amp?

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2010, 4:08am

Quote:
Is the mechanism for flicker up conversion due to the inherent non linearity of the diff amp?
No, the mechanism involved is the differential pulling of Tail current source node at twice the freq. of the applied diff. signal.

Non-linearity of diff. pair, imperfect differential signal, finite rout of TCS, CM fluctuations, gm mismatch b/w i/p pairs etc. contribute to the total noise because of upconversion from above mentioned phenomenon.

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2010, 8:29pm

Mayank,

Unless OpAmp is doing Monte Carlo simulations including mismatch,
then the imperfections in the differential signal path will not be
manifested unless they are related to unmatched loading. Are there
other potential sources for flicker noise conversion?

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2010, 8:55pm

Yes there is, the prime source -- Flicker noise from Tail current source.
All the other ones i mentioned were to indicate that the secondary sources like diffamp non-linearity et al. that vp1953 was suggesting are contributors, not phenomenon which leads to upconversion.

Flicker noise of TCS upconverts increases phase noise.

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2010, 11:26am

>No, the mechanism involved is the differential pulling of Tail current
>source node at twice the freq. of the applied diff. signal.

Hi Mayank,

Thanks for sharing your great insights.

Obviously if the input signals at the diff amp were small, then the drain of the tail current source is a virtual ground, there would not be any 2f component there.

For the case, that the input signals are large, assume that each FET of the diff acts like a switch. For this case, there would be a 2f component at the drain. But the 2f component is additive to the flicker noise and not multiplicative, so you would still need some nonlinearity for the flicker noise to upconvert to the 2f frequency.

At each single ended output of the diff amp, the flicker noise of the tail source is modulated by f (square wave with amplitude 1,0 assuming the FET of the input acts as a switch). The differential output has the flicker noise modulated by f (square wave with amplitude 1,-1). Short of any non ideality present, the upconversion of the flicker noise is to f, not to 2f.

I look forward to any comments you can provide.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.