The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LC QVCO with shared bias node (Read 1508 times)
supermoment

LC QVCO with shared bias node
Jun 29th, 2010, 1:48am

From the CICC paper
"2-V 900MHz Quadrature Coupled LC Oscillators with Improved Amplitude and Phase Matchings" (C Lo, Howard Luong)

It stated that sharing the nmos bias node (drain nodes of the two LCVCO current source), it can improve amplitude mismatch and improve phase noise Pnoise.

From my simulation, it is not the case. I found that it is case by case.
Anyone know the real reason?

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Re: LC QVCO with shared bias node
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2010, 2:42am

I havent read the paper. BUT
Quote:
It stated that sharing the nmos bias node (drain nodes of the two LCVCO current source), it can improve amplitude mismatch and improve phase noise Pnoise.

Quadrature LC VCO comprises of two LC VCOs operating at 90 degrees phase diff.
The Drain of the TCS nmos is pulled up twice in one Period of Oscillation in a Single LC VCO. i.e. TCS Node has a major harmonic at 2*fosc.
If you connect the TCS nodes of two LC-VCOs, then if your QVCO is exactly symmetric, & ignoring higherr-order non-linearities,
the 2f fluctuation due to 1st VCO is out of phase to the 2f fluctuation due to the 2nd.
Hence, they should cancel & result in an improvement in Phase Noise.

--
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.