The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 7:14pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Temperature sensor without calibration (Read 6955 times)
Visjnoe

Temperature sensor without calibration
Jul 06th, 2010, 6:29am

Dear all,

I'm currently measuring and debugging a CMOS temperature sensor with a required accuracy of +/- 2degC. It is based on sampling a PTAT voltage, generated from the difference between the base-emitter voltages of 2 bipolar transistors.

I notice two things in measurement: a huge static offset (easily 10degC...20degC) + some parabolic/linear error trend.

I can explain the static offset (offset on the PTAT voltage) + the linear error trend (wrong estimate/variation on the tempco). Does anyone know where the parabolic error trend could originate? It is not the parabolic curve of VBE typically, since the PTAT voltage does not contain a VBE term...

Furthermore, I've seen that knowing the tempco pretty accurate is crucial for obtaining accurate results.

Therefore, I'm coming to the conclusion that you always require calibration for these temperature sensors:

1. At e..g room temperature (offset)
2. At another temperature to estimate the tempco

I also read this a lot in datasheets.

Can anyone with a lot of experience on (CMOS) temperature sensors comment on this? Do you typically require calibration? How much?

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Re: Temperature sensor without calibration
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2010, 6:46am

Quote:
It is not the parabolic curve of VBE typically, since the PTAT voltage does not contain a VBE term...
So it is not due to a curvature in PTAT voltage.

Must be due to 2nd order term in Temp. Co of resistors.

Quote:
Do you typically require calibration?

yes. & What do you mean by how much ? Range should be enough to cover your PVT variations & resolution to provide to desired accuracy. Obtain both through simulations.

-M

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2010, 6:59am

Dear Mayank,

In simulation, the 2nd order tempco of the resistors is not the cause (unless they are badly modeled). Besides, VPTAT ~ kT/q*log(M)*R2/R1...I would guess the tempco of the resistors cancel.

By 'how much' calibration I mean:

1. Only offset calibration @room temperature
or
2. Offset calibration + some calibration/fit over temperature to obtain an accurate estimate of the tempco

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2010, 2:19pm

Two things it could be. Something making your currents in the bipolars unmatched (so check your mirror circuit... common centroid, etc?), or something else Wink. A few things on the something else... base resistance can be a problem since it won't be matched and beta has a big temp co. Another thing would be the offset of your amplifier which can have funny temp cos, especially if it is coming from mobility mismatch. Finally, if your clock is coupling into the ptat generator or the opamp you will see an offset because the circuit is nonlinear, and I expect the offset will change over temp giving curvature.

Package stress can cause funny things too. I'm not sure how much curvature you are seeing.

Temp co of the resistors shouldn't matter as long as they are matched.

Is the output digital or analog? If it is digital you are comparing it against a bangap which might have curvature.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2010, 11:33pm

Dear Rob,

Thanks for your suggestions.

In your experience, are those effects typically well modeled, meaning
you can observe them in simulation?

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2010, 4:33am

not modeled in a regular simulation:
-mismatch (unless you run Monte Carlo simulation)
-Package stress
-Noise coupling from the other circuits

Double-check the accuracy of the bipolar transistors modeling for temperature. (Check how many and which measurements did the fab run)

tz

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2010, 7:53am

Visjnoe wrote on Jul 6th, 2010, 11:33pm:
Dear Rob,

Thanks for your suggestions.

In your experience, are those effects typically well modeled, meaning
you can observe them in simulation?

Regards

Tz got it right imo... hard to see in simulation unless you go looking for them, but there are things you can do to test some things. Noise gets coupled in through parasitic caps, and the caps on the bipolar should be modeled. Run a transient simulation with noise of varying frequencies on the supplies and substrate and see how much it takes to shift the voltage. I guess you could also change the clock frequency and see if it affects the measured results...

The base resistance should be modeled, but bipolars aren't easy to model. Base resistance is also dependent on layout so if you didn't use exactly the same layout it can be different. You can get a feel for how close you are by increasing the current and seeing if it affects the curve. generally it is a problem if your bipolars are biased too high and will be worse at cold. You can also have problems if they are biased too low, but the problems kick in a higher temps and shouldn't cause differences at room temperature.

I forgot to mention the startup circuit if you use one. It might not be turning off.

There are so many things that can go wrong with PTAT circuits it is hard to guess without seeing the results and the circuit. They are circuits that teach you about what can go wrong. Are the results random around zero? Probably mismatch. Is opamp offset important? Opamp offset drift might be as much as 10uV/C, but it should have a mean of zero. Offset from the bipolars should be very small, but I don't know how big your PTAT voltage is to begin with. Any current density ratio less than 8 is an automatic do-over because the signal is very small Wink.

Package stress is a problem with plastic, but not ceramic. Suspect package stress if it is different each time you cycle the temperature.

Are there circuits on-board that change the on-board temp? Especially if they create a temperature gradient.

Is the nonlinearity worse at hot or cold? What do you mean by a "linear error trend?"

So many things... Those are just the obvious ones. If you put up your circuit we can see if there is an obvious gotcha.

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2010, 11:14am

Dear Rob,

some answers to your questions:

1. The implementation is classic: 2 substrate pnp's + a CMOS opamp (no chopping).
The PTAT current is mirrored and dropped on a resistor, so we have:
VPTAT = kT/q*log(M)*R2/R1

M = 8

2. With a parabolic error trend, I mean that the temperature error (measured temperature - real temperature) shows a parabolic curve.
Same explanation for a linear error trend.
The linear error trend I can explain however: it occurs when the silicon has a different tempco than the one that is used for calculating temperature from the PTAT voltage (so having this or not depends on knowing accurately the tempco).

3. I have included offset drift of the CMOS opamp (10uV/C) and it could not reproduce the measurements.

4. I did run Monte Carlo simulations and some of them show a parabolic trend but the variation in temperature error along the curve is much less than in measurement.
I do have to mention that it looks like the BJT model does not include the effects of random mismatch, meaning that if you use it in a simulation, all BJT devices will behave identically.
I see that when I change XTI (saturation current tempco) by about 1% and XTB (beta tempco) by about 15% for 1 of the pnp's I can get similar results as in measurements. I however do not know whether this spread in process parameters is realistic.

5. Current density ratio = 8

6. PTAT voltage = 535mV at room temperature

7. About hot versus cold: the flat part of the parabolic trend always occurs at low temperatures (-40degC to 0degC), the steep part occurs from 0degC upto 85degC

8. The other circuits on board is a good suggestion to check. Indeed, there are other circuits running when doing these tests (on the other hand, that is a realistic scenario).

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2010, 11:46am

I need to think about your numbers, but it sounds like something non-linear kicks above 0C, which is lower than I'd expect if it was leakage unless it is coming from a startup circuit. Is the parabola concave up? How much is it off by? The larger PTAT voltage across the range also sounds like a startup circuit, but it is really hard to guess. You might be able to test the startup theory by using a lower supply.

What do you mean by the temp-co of the silicon? With a PTAT all the temp-cos should cancel if they are matched (look at your equation: no temp-co). I assume by linear error you mean that the slope is steeper than it should be -- one way that can happen is if R2/R1 is grossly mismatched (unlikely) or you have current leaking in from somewhere (like a startup circuit). I believe there is a "non-ideality factor" "n" in front of your equation. That could give a small error, but think you are seeing about a 3% error so that is pretty large.

Are you using Nwell resistors? The volt co can cause an error.

I would not suspect mismatch between the bipolars unless you have a really bad layout. E.G. XTI won't mismatch much between devices. Base resistance is different because you will have 8x the current drop across one of the devices. Temperature and stress differences of course cause errors too.

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2010, 1:38am

Dear Rob,

1. Yes, the parabola curve is concave up.
In fact, it looks a lot like the curves in "Micropower CMOS temperature sensor with digital output" by Huijsing.

2. With tempco I just mean k/q*log(M)*R2/R1.
Any mis-estimate of this parameter when doing the temperature calculation can cause a linear error trend (this is obvious). This parameter does vary from sample to sample (I also see this in Monte Carlo simulation).
It can vary in my case because the 'initial' PTAT current equals k/q*log(M)*1/R1 in my circuit. This current is mirrored and dropped onto a resistor R2 (to increase the PTAT voltage to relax the absolute accuracy requirement on the ADC) to create the final PTAT voltage k/q*log(M)*R2/R1. But basically this term can have a current mirror mismatch error. This cannot explain the parabolic trend however, unless I introduce a certain second-order temperature dependency in this mismatch error...which I don't see when just simulating using the foundry models.

3. The resistors used are P poly unsalicide.

4. Too bad on the mismatch between the BJT...I could get similar results compared to measurement. But no point in fooling ourselves.

5. I will post a schematic drawing in following days to give a better insight in the circuit (but it's pretty standard).

6. Could you explain the supply voltage effect? Would it become better or worse at lower/higher supply voltages? What's the exact mechanism?

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2010, 8:49am

It sounds like you have a good design. You might have a tough one to solve.

Regarding the supply... If your startup circuit is causing problems you might be able to change the behavior of the startup circuit by using different supplies. I also once saw a problem where hot electron effects were causing leakage.

View Profile   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2010, 9:10pm

If your output is high impedance, you could be accidentally stealing too much current from your reference when measuring the voltage, leading to an error...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.