The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 3:36pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How long should bypass gate cap be? (Read 5809 times)
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
How long should bypass gate cap be?
Jul 09th, 2010, 9:23pm

I've always had a rule of thumb of not making gate caps longer than 10um. I have forgotten why, which happens more as I age. I think it was the n-well resistance that was in series with the cap. Anyone have a rule of thumb these days? I'm bypassing/decoupling power supplies in a 0.18u process and it would be better if I could use L=16u.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Re: How long should bypass gate cap be?
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2010, 10:54am

This is not a well-defined question.

The longer the channel the larger the ESR. But the tolerance should depend on your requirement.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2010, 2:42am

Yes, I agree with neoflash. The channel length or ESR depends on your requirement. Sometimes you even need larger ESR to kill the ringing caused by bonding wire.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2010, 8:59am

Thanks for the feedback... I know it depends on the requirements, but what I'm not quite sure of is how would one create a model of a MOS cap that includes the effects of longer channel length. I do not think current models include this effect. Is it the Nwell resistance under the gate that causes the increase in ESR?

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2010, 10:19am

If you are using nmoscap, the answer is yes. The nmos is the dominant source. (Some from the gate too.)

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2010, 11:08am

Actually I'm just using a pmos transistor since I'm not up to making a nmos over nwell cap. The rules are incredibly screwed up in this process and I have no time....

OK, that is what I thought. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some funny physics... I was raised a bipolar man...

I just want to confirm.

Say you had a W=10, L=10 transistor with Cgs=10fF/um^2. Nwell sheet resistance is 1k-ohm/sq. The total cap would be 1pF and Res=1k.  So a first order model would be three pmos (1/3pF) and two 500 ohm resistors (RC lumped element). The gates tied to vdd (ignoring poly R) and the sources would be distributed between the 500 ohm resistors: One going to the middle and the other two going to the ends which would be tied to vss.

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2010, 11:28am

If a PMOS used and it is turned-on with bias condition, you don't worry about N-well resistance. Because the ESR consists of only the p-channel resistance and gate poly. N-well is shielded by the channel so no impact on the ESR.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2010, 12:00pm

lol... I just looked it up in razavi's book, page 622. It is just channel resistance ~1/gm and the time constant is proportional to L^2.

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2010, 12:04pm

No. It is not related with gm, instead it is propotional to gds.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2010, 12:36pm

gm is a little low for a device with no dc current, eh?  ~1/L/(Vgs-Vt) is what I was getting at. I'm doing layout which means I can, and did, leave my brain at home.

Anyway, why is this different for an nmos in an Nwell?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.