The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 3:07pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA + mixer weird conversion gain from spectre (Read 2836 times)
.matteo
Community Member

Padova, Italy
LNA + mixer weird conversion gain from spectre
Jul 26th, 2010, 11:12pm

Hi everybody!

I'm calculating the conversion gain of a LNA+gm+current mixer chain in a direct conversion receiver. I'm using spectreRF and PSS (tstab 5n, shooting engine, no additional options). I do a parametric sweep on the rf frequency and I set the rf frequency equal to the lo frequency through a variable. I use the same variable as beat freq. in the pss.

I get the weird conversion gain of the figure I uploaded.
Any suggestion about how to solve this problem?

Thanks
.mat

CG.png
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: LNA + mixer weird conversion gain from spectre
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2010, 4:13am

I think the problem is that the phase difference between the input signal and the LO, at the mixer, will determine the amplitude of the DC output mixing product. If you have a transmission line (or delay) somewhere between the input port and mixer then the phase difference will be a function of frequency. This is why you see periodic nulls and broad peaks close to your expected conversion gain (I assume).

If the input signal was offset from the LO then the phase difference would not matter other than to cause some proportional phase shift to the output frequency tone, but for the DC mixing product the output must be a constant and is proportional to the cosine of the phase difference.

I think you'll simply need to use a different analysis option to skirt around the issue. One possibility is to use PSS and PAC analysis which will let you sweep the conversion gain for individual LO frequencies. Other options include QPSS with the input signal being the moderate level tone or envelope simulation (but envelope is a bit more complicated to set up).

I will be interested in hearing if others have solutions for synchronizing the LO to the mixer input signal.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: LNA + mixer weird conversion gain from spectre
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2010, 4:31am

Take care of both I and Q outputs of mixer.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.