The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 8:04pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PLL transfer function plot (Read 8961 times)
supermoment

PLL transfer function plot
Jul 27th, 2010, 12:19am

Can cadence spectreRF plot out the PLL transfer function?

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Re: PLL transfer function plot
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2010, 4:57am

Casual,

Can you be more specific about what you would like to do? Do you
mean plot a transfer function? Do you mean simulate a PLL and
generate a transfer function? Which transfer function are you looking
to plot? BTW, I believe that vendor specific questions go in the
simulators section.

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
supermoment

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2010, 5:50am

I would like to obtain   input/output transfer function of a PLL, eg: H(jw) vs freq and check bandwidth & overshoot response. I can make it in matlab but I do not know how to generate it in spectre. I believe it can be simulated.

PS: thx for reminding me that this post should be in simulator session. I do not know how to move it to there.

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2010, 10:21am

Hi Casual,

I was told by one of the Cadence technologists that anything that can be done in Matlab can also be done in Spectre, perhaps not so conveniently. Here might be one way - model the PD (and the VCO as well as the divider) using verilog-ams, the loop filter could be used as a circuit block. The use stability analysis (analysis>stb) for gain and phase plots - this option requires placing a probe somewhere in the feedback loop.

If you do find an easier way, do let us know.

View Profile   IP Logged
supermoment

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2010, 12:02am

i know verilogA can model the laplace function. The results will be the same as in matlab. But it depends on how accurate we model it. Therefore it is great if we could simulate directly the PLL to get the transfer function.

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2010, 10:30pm

Casual,

Look in samples/pllLib for examples of how to implement phase
domain models for a PLL.

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
supermoment

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2010, 11:00pm

thx, i will take a look

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2010, 3:50am

If you can build "State Averaged Model" for target DUT, you can adopt conventional AC Analysis in any SPICE type Simulator.

See http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/display/ads2009/Open+and+Closed+Loop+Simulation+of...
Here all blocks are treated as linear state averaged model.
      "LinearVCO" is a linear model of a VCO.
      "LinearPFD" is a linear model of a phase/frequency detector.
      "LinearPFD2" is a 2-input linear model of a phase/frequency detector.
      "LinearDivider" is a linear model of a divider.

This "State Averaged Modeling" is well known as "Describing Function Method" or "Equivalent Transfer Function Method"
in Nonlinear Control Theory.

Equivalent Lowpass Model of RF Bandpass System is this "State Averaged Modeling".
Phase Domain Model of PLL is also this "State Averaged Modeling".
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1237145096/8#8

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2010, 12:57pm

It is still not clear what you want to do. It is possible to build a phase-domain model of your PLL and simulate in any simulator that has a reasonable modeling language, including any circuit simulator that implements Verilog-A. You could also use tools like Matlab. Or you can code the model up your self in any programming language, such as Python or C. However, this is a simplified model; very simplified as you will come to understand when you go to build the models of the various components. This process is described in some depth in http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/PLLnoise+jitter.pdf.

Alternatively, you might be looking to do a transistor-level simulation and extract the transfer function. That is possible with RF simulators such as SpectreRF. Basically, you set up the PSS analysis so that its initial transient interval (set by tstab) is long enough to take the PLL into lock, then it computes the periodic steady-state solution. For this to be possible your PLL must satisfy a few criteria. First, it must have a periodic steady-state solution; so your PLL must have no deadzone or fractional-N architectures. And it must be practical to compute the steady-state solution, and so if there is a divider in the loop, its divide ratio must be relatively small. Once you have the steady-state solution, you can run any of the small-signal analyses that work with PSS. Those include PAC, PXF, PSTB, and of course, PNoise. They perform the AC, transfer function, stability, and noise analyses respectively.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.