The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 1:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IIP2 simulation in Direct Conversion receiver, weird result (Read 4192 times)
.matteo
Community Member

Padova, Italy
IIP2 simulation in Direct Conversion receiver, weird result
Aug 24th, 2010, 7:44am

Hi everybody,
  thanks for reading my post. I'm trying to simulate the IIP2 of a fully differential LNA + transconductor + mixer chain. The BW of my sistem is from 2GHz to 18GHz.

This is the way I set up the simulation.
My input port is sine type, with some power "prf", rf frequency "frf" and "pacmagdb" as the magnitude of PAC analysis in dBm. QPSS analysis run a flexible balance engine on frf and flo (the LO freq.) where frf=2.401G and flo=2.4G, tstab=10n, sweeping prf=pacmagdb from -60 to 10dBm. The I do a QPAC analysis at 2.4GHz, max clock order = 2.

Hence, the fundamental freq is at |flo-fqpac|=0 and the second order harmonic at |flo - (frf-fqpac)|=2.399GHz (flo,frf are (1,-1) in the results window).

The result that I get is in the image and it looks like I'm doing something wrong.

Can somebody help me or pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot,
.mat
4.png  

4.png
View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Re: IIP2 simulation in Direct Conversion receiver, weird result
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2010, 5:40pm

Hi Mat,

Why is your fundamental at zero and the second harmonic at 2.3GHz. For mixers, IPn is defined with respect to your IF frequency. For the whole transciever, the downconverted IF frequencies are used for the IPn calculations. With frf = 2.401G and flo = 2.4G, the first harmonic is at 1MHz and second harmonic (used for IP2) at 2MHz.

Why not use PSS with a beat frequency of 1MHz for the calculation.

In your plot below , something isnt looking right. When your input signal is -60dBm, the downconverted output is -100dBm for the fundamental. Assuming your LNA has at least 10dB gain, the mixer conversion gain is -50dB a substantially low number in my opinion. This might be due to incorrect harmonics used in the analysis as noted earlier.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2010, 7:10pm

The simulation results look suspect below Pin=-40dBm, you should to the measurement (extrapolation point) above -40dBm which will raise your IIP2 estimate, but it still seems a bit low in performance.

One suggestion would be to forget using PAC with QPSS, instead you should run QPSS with two moderate tones with (as vp suggested) 1MHz tone separation and the LO as the large signal. But you need these tones to be offset from the LO by more than 1MHz such that the 1MHz baseband tone will be only due to the IP2 performance of the receiver.

View Profile   IP Logged
.matteo
Community Member

Padova, Italy
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2010, 12:45am

@vp1953
I double checked the harmonic thing and I'm pretty sure you dont have to use frf in the calculations but the small signal freq that you're injecting through the QPAC (2.4G) ..frf is the moderate tone. so the fundamental is fpac-flo=2.4G-2.4G=0. I looked in the cadence application notes and with the same reasonment you've to use the (1,-2) harmonics for IP3 and hence (1,-1) for IP2 ..the (1,-1) coincides with the one of my calculations, 2.399G. I hope what Im saying is not totally wrong, if it is then please help me out understanding  ;)

@RFICDUDE
I set the extrapolation point at -40dBm and I get IIP2 of 30dBm ..I dont think is a good number yet

I'll do the PSS as you and RFICDUDE suggested.
thanks everybody, I'll do the PSS and post the results asap

View Profile   IP Logged
.matteo
Community Member

Padova, Italy
Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2010, 11:37pm

I've another question.

How can I measure IIP2 in presence of mismatches?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.